ifishthebadspots

My own idiot thread - knots.

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Please bear with me here. I tried all the recommended knots trying to securely attach 50lb fluoro to 30-50 lb braid - uni to uni, crazy Alberto and now FG. I was convinced my problem was not tightening enough, but now my leader slips again, leaving me fuming.

No offense, but these knots don't make a lot of sense to me. Uni to uni is just too big with 50 lb fluoro and disintegrates after multiple powerful casts, as it's hitting rod guides direct on the way out. FG and Alberto are based on wrapping braid around fluoro and, after tightening, denting fluoro enough to hold on. To me, this is not a solid knot in this application. Heavier fluoro is hard, it will keep slowly slipping, and the braid will keep hitting the guides at the cinch knot. Once that point is weakened, the only thing holding on are the indentations on fluoro. One of the guys here recommended scraping fluoro with fingernails prior to tying, which makes a ton of sense if I am to try to make this inefficient setup work.

However, I'm not a fan of modyfying fluoro or glueing braid after tying . There has to be a knot out there that would make sense. Somebody help before I spent more money on replacement lures.

If I was to give up and go with a swivel, would it be damaging to Fuji guides? Would I lose a lot of distance? I do like to sling far.

Try the Albright knot. It’s very simple and was designed for attaching fine (20-30lb) mono to thick mono (80lb or so). I use it for my striper leaders that taper from 40lb to 20lb and have very few issues. 

Why are you reeling your leader into the guides? I'm not sure exactly what you're fishing for, but there are not many casting scenarios where you need an extra long leader.

None of those knots should slip, and they're some of the strongest out there when tied properly.

Edited by C.Robin

I used a swivel for my leader connection for a long long time.  

There are days when I have to go back to it.  My hands just don't work well all the time.  Add in the shakes and I'm a cocktail of FUBAR. 

Not ashamed to admit it. There are days the only knot I can tie is a palomar.  It's what it is.   

If your knots suck they suck.  So what.  Find a system you can work with.    

Work on the knots over the winter. 

I've tried all the knots you said and have only had success with the uni to uni knot, but its too big.  The FG knot is awesome, but has failed me multiple times.  What I'm doing now is using a uni to uni knot and just not reeling the leader into the guides.  

Not sure I'd really call 50 lb fluoro heavy......80 150 gets heavy and that's where normal knots get a bit more "fussy"

I fished uni to uni knots for 10s of thousands of casts...and never experienced knots disintegrating.  In fw for little 30' casts or 150yard rips off the surf.....exponentially more with alberto knots.

Alberto's are great with 50lb fluoro carbons....at least all the brands I've used.

FG knots can be finnacky with harder fluoros but if you cinch it to the point the braid turns almost translucent....you shouldn't have an issue with it slipping.

The recommendation of the albright would be worse than the alberto as it is harder to compress all the wraps evenly and tightly.

I've recommended scraping the braid  in the section that will be binding to the leader...but not the leader...(might not have been me)  as I don't know what anyone's fingernails would do to leader.

possible guide damage could be wearing knots.....or possible too long a leader with it being on the spool for the cast could cause damage even without an abrupt hang up.

THe knots you listed are a long time staples.....I think your statement of the knots not making sense to you are based in inexperience (going by your post history it seems you may be new to this sorta thing....and all knots take lots of practice.)

2 mins ago, snooker said:

I've tried all the knots you said and have only had success with the uni to uni knot, but its too big.  The FG knot is awesome, but has failed me multiple times.  What I'm doing now is using a uni to uni knot and just not reeling the leader into the guides.  

FG knots fail if not cinched down all the way......Easy to tell when you have what looks like a catepillar at the the end of your line instead of a leader :)

I am not reeling the knot into guides, I'm casting it... I've read in several places that fluoro leader should be at least 3-4ft long. My connection would have to pass at least 2 guides on the way out. Was this wrong?

19 mins ago, C.Robin said:

None of those knots should slip, and they're some of the strongest out there when tied properly.

They wouldn't if you just attached weight to one end and pulled. Here, the knot jerks violently with every cast, often hitting the guudes/tip. Half of the knot stops on a bump (braid) while the other half keeps moving... Braid and fluoro are not level here.

I did FG per instructions and tied with gloves on, way tighter than you would do by hand. It slipped after 3 hours.

58 mins ago, Ftyer said:

Try the Albright knot. It’s very simple and was designed for attaching fine (20-30lb) mono to thick mono (80lb or so). I use it for my striper leaders that taper from 40lb to 20lb and have very few issues. 

If it's braid around fluoro, I just don't believe in it at this point... I will probably give it a try...

12 mins ago, snooker said:

YES! This is the only knot that hasn't slipped, it just gets destroyed by guides. I can see you had the same issues.

Just now, ifishthebadspots said:

YES! This is the only knot that hasn't slipped, it just gets destroyed by guides. I can see you had the same issues.

We must not be tying the FG knot correctly.  I've never had an issue with the uni to uni knot being destroyed by the guides, but I just don't like having such a large knot going through the guides.  That's why lately I've just not been reeling it into the guides.  I keep my leaders about 24" long.

16 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

FG knots fail if not cinched down all the way......Easy to tell when you have what looks like a catepillar at the the end of your line instead of a leader :)

This is what I thought, but I've tightened it really well, way beyond what's doable with bare hands. I don't think it's possible to tighten it to the point of making one uniform surface that doesn't bump.

4 mins ago, ifishthebadspots said:

This is what I thought, but I've tightened it really well, way beyond what's doable with bare hands. I don't think it's possible to tighten it to the point of making one uniform surface that doesn't bump.

After the failure what were you left with?

I’ve had lots of knots slip especially when using slippery braid like PPSS V2.  So I found a way to prevent all knots from slipping.  It’s all in the finish.  Take an Albright Special and tie like normal.  Then at the end finish by tying two triple overhand knots around the main line and leader using the braid tag end.  Once you do that it will not slip.  I do the same for the FG and it never slips.   I even do it on the improved clinch knot.