dae2fish

A Van Staal VS150L substitute?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

First things first... I wanted to say hello to everyone!!! This is my first time posting on SOL. It took me some time to figure out how to actually post content, LOL.

Anyway, I've been wanting for a long time to get a VS150L with the right hand retrieve. I finally saved enough money for it and was ready to pull the trigger. The Van Staal website shows the VS150L so I assumed they still made it. However, when I contacted one tackle shop to order one they said Van Staal doesn't make the VS line anymore and the VSX line doesn't have any L models. So I called Van Staal and the rep told me the same thing. Now I'm trying to find a suitable VS150L substitute (similar in size & weight but doesn't have to be fully submersible, as long as it could take some spray and wave splash). I'm going to fish this reel on a 9ft rod working the shorelines of Jones Beach, NY ). I would appreciate some feedback, thanks.

Take a look at the Penn Slammer III 4500 size.  I put one on my 9' rod.  Been using it for a little over a year.  No issues yet.  It hasn't taken any waves or splashes.  I make sure to lift it up if I think a crashing wave will soak it.  You're new here so you don't yet have the needed amount of posts but once you do keep an eye in the buy/sell/trade forum for a VS150L.  Never know what someone is selling.

Thanks for the input so far. :howdy: I didn't know ZeeBaas made a Lefty (right hand retrieve) model.  I couldn't find a Zx2-22 Lefty Silver at the big online tackleshops so I checked out the ZeeBaas website which lets you build one... what type of pickup... Single line or Double line? and what type of Handle... the small curved? and what type of knob?

Screenshot 2020-10-10 at 4.47.16 PM.png

Edited by dae2fish
I wanted to add a screenshot from the ZeeBaas website.

Keep in mind that a ZX-22 weighs 20oz and a VSX150 weighs 12oz... they might have similar line capacities but they are far from the same.

Single line roller for simplicity, personally love the ball knob but it's totally personal preference.

Don't get me wrong, Van Staal and ZB are the cream of the crop when it comes to sealed reels  However, for the area you're fishing, a reel you can swim with is not at all necessary.  There are plenty of reels out there that can handle spray, waves and dunks in the $200-300 range. What are you using currently? 

I'm left handed as well. Slammer 3 4500. Is a great reel for a 9' rod. I have been using it way more that my 150L. 

There's a 150L for sale now on the bst now. But most people want crazy prices. As far as Vs bringing back 150L and 250L dont hold your breath. 

I've been looking for a silver or black 250 all year and still haven't found the right 1.

Good luck, if you end up with a slammer I think you'll be happy.

22 hours ago, dae2fish said:

First things first... I wanted to say hello to everyone!!! This is my first time posting on SOL. It took me some time to figure out how to actually post content, LOL.

Anyway, I've been wanting for a long time to get a VS150L with the right hand retrieve. I finally saved enough money for it and was ready to pull the trigger. The Van Staal website shows the VS150L so I assumed they still made it. However, when I contacted one tackle shop to order one they said Van Staal doesn't make the VS line anymore and the VSX line doesn't have any L models. So I called Van Staal and the rep told me the same thing. Now I'm trying to find a suitable VS150L substitute (similar in size & weight but doesn't have to be fully submersible, as long as it could take some spray and wave splash). I'm going to fish this reel on a 9ft rod working the shorelines of Jones Beach, NY ). I would appreciate some feedback, thanks.

get yourself shimano saragosa 8000,you save money and the reel will work like the expensive one.i tested that and it work perfect,if i picked VS for $200 i would sell that for $500 and buy gosa 8000 ,for $250.

Edited by snag777

I agree with what Salty Veins said."Keep in mind that a ZX-22 weighs 20oz and a VSX150 weighs 12oz... they might have similar line capacities but they are far from the same."

The weight difference is pretty significant. One of the major reasons for wanting a VS150L was because of the light weight.

Currently, I'm using a 2016 Certate HD4000. I like the reel a lot. Smooth, light weight (14oz), good line capacity (300yards of 30lb braid), mag seals, but the max drag is only 17lb. The biggest fish I caught on it so far was a 35 incher and handled it well. However, I don't know how it will handle bigger fish, especially in current and around structure. I'm not worried about the open beaches of the Jones Beach area. There's plenty of room to let the bigger fish make their runs. However, I also fish on the rocks underneath some local bridges and in these areas, you have to turn the fish quickly before they run your line into the pilings.

Edited by dae2fish
needed to add more details about 2016 CERTATE HD4000

4 hours ago, dae2fish said:

I agree with what Salty Veins said."Keep in mind that a ZX-22 weighs 20oz and a VSX150 weighs 12oz... they might have similar line capacities but they are far from the same."

The weight difference is pretty significant. One of the major reasons for wanting a VS150L was because of the light weight.

Currently, I'm using a 2016 Certate HD4000. I like the reel a lot. Smooth, light weight (14oz), good line capacity (300yards of 30lb braid), mag seals, but the max drag is only 17lb. The biggest fish I caught on it so far was a 35 incher and handled it well. However, I don't know how it will handle bigger fish, especially in current and around structure. I'm not worried about the open beaches of the Jones Beach area. There's plenty of room to let the bigger fish make their runs. However, I also fish on the rocks underneath the Green Island Bridge and Meadowbrook Bridge and in these areas, you have to turn the fish quickly before they run your line into the pilings.

17lbs is plenty of drag for even the biggest bass. However, a lot of reels are able to put out more drag than the other components of the reel can handle. I would go with a gosa or slammer III. Both fully sealed reels that can absolutely handle the drag required to bring in a large bass.

Edited by C.Robin