flyangler

Liberals, When You Have Lost Johnny Rotten....

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

What’s changed for Johnny Rotten since 2015? 

“Don’t you dare vote Donald Trump,” he said to Stephen Colbert during a TV appearance in 2015.

Sex Pistols singer John Lydon: 'Of course I'm voting for Trump'

John Lydon, the rock singer who found infamy fronting the Sex Pistols during the iconic punk band’s heyday, is “of course” voting to reelect President Trump, he said in an interview Thursday.

The vocalist previously known professionally as Johnny Rotten told BBC’s NewsDay he is “definitely” voting Republican in next month’s contest between Mr. Trump and Democratic rival Joseph R. Biden.

“He’s an individual thinker, I’ll give him that for a start. He’s not the most lovable fellow on God’s earth, but I cannot see the opposition as offering me anything by way of a solution,” he said.

“Yes, of course I’m voting for Trump,” Mr. Lydon affirmed later in the interview. “It’s bad person or not. I don’t want a politician running this world anymore.”

Mr. Lydon, 64, led the Sex Pistols in the late 1970s when the British punk group made waves because of its songs like “Anarchy in the U.K.” and the anti-authoritarian anthem “God Save the Queen.”

He later formed the group Public Image Ltd., which he still fronts, although he told NewsDay the coronavirus pandemic is having a “crippling” effect on the band and music industry as a whole.

Mr. Lydon’s remark about casting a ballot to reelect the president clashes quite considerably with his earlier comments. “Don’t you dare vote Donald Trump,” he said during a TV appearance in 2015.

The legendary punk singer was later photographed in 2018 wearing a shirt containing Mr. Trump’s campaign slogan, “Make America Great Again,” and that image was widely circulated online last month.

Born in London, Mr. Lydon became a U.S. citizen in 2013.

Back in November 2015:

Johnny Rotten: 'Don't you dare vote Donald Trump'

As Donald Trump continues to lead presidential polls, the Republican front-runner has attracted the attention of a new opponent from abroad who’s no stranger to speaking out against the establishment.

John Lydon — better known as Johnny Rotten, the London-born singer who rose to fame in the late ‘70s as the frontman of infamous punk band the Sex Pistols — urged Americans not to cast their ballots for the billionaire real estate mogul during an appearance Tuesday evening on “Late Night with Stephen Colbert.”

Performing with Public Image Ltd., the rock group Lydon launched more than 30 years ago after the dissolution of the Sex Pistols, the singer closed down Tuesday’s episode with words of advice ahead of the 2016 election aimed at would-be voters.

“Don’t you dare vote Donald Trump,” he snarled as the group wrapped up a performance of their latest single, “Double Trouble.”

The punk singer has hardly been reserved in the past about his politics. In 1977, his punk band was essentially banned from radio and television in the U.K. as a result of their anti-crown chart-topper, “God Save the Queen.”