pakalolo

LIGHTS ON THE BEACH (again)

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Bighouse said:

Apparently a Covid transplant thought we were trespassing. We weren’t, cop new that. Never got out of the water. 

were you below the HT mark or was it just not their property?

22 mins ago, GarbageFish said:

were you below the HT mark or was it just not their property?

It was a little know legal parking spot that bordered their property. It was the middle of the night. 

12 hours ago, carznfish said:

How come a light on a bridge draws fish in but a set of headlights shining on water for 30 minutes shuts the bite off 

One is a fixed light that is part of the background environment, has the time to attract bait, etc.

The other causes a sudden and unnatural change to the environment, isn't on long enough to draw bait, but will spook fish, just as anything unnatural in the environment can put fish off their feed, whether thet be engine noise, splashing in shallow water, etc.

14 hours ago, FishinDVM said:

Ok, I mostly agree with the original poster on this one. Driving with the lowest light (low beams, parking lights, fog lights, whatever you want to call it) is the MOST APPROPRIATE, RESPECTFUL way to do it. However, there are times that driving with regular running lights is needed, or appropriate, and I would never hate on someone for driving this way at all. Now, people who drive with high beams on, they are being scumbags, or just ignorant to others around them, which still makes them scumbags... if they were stuck, I'd keep driving, but thats about it. And finally, there is the worst of the worst, the million candle power spot beams / KC lights / lightbar / etc people. Anyone driving down the beach with all that crap on, making the beach daylight, deserves to be killed on site. They are worthless human garbage. I can specifically think of some POS in a Ford Raptor on Gilgo that comes to mind. Please extinguish your life, thanks.

Really like it a lot when someone gets riled up like I do. Agree 100%, sometimes you have to have your head lights on. 
last night I’m fishing the pocket by the jetty at Breezy (1:30 am) and a guy puts on his headlights and completely lights up the ocean pocket. Leaves them on, after 5 minutes I leave and decide to ask him why he has his lights on. He responds, why is it going to scare the fish?  I say yes and why are you so inconsiderate? He turns them off and is just a wise a$$. I leave and move to another area and say again that was crazy inconsiderate. Then back there 2 hours later two guys are turning there white lights on there heads on every cast into the water to remove  the weeds off their plugs. This unfortunately is turning into the average trip. All I can do is walk away from stupidity and inconsiderate people....ironic that going fishing at these hours usually helps in forgetting about the  normal daily interaction with such people. 

3 hours ago, CWitek said:

One is a fixed light that is part of the background environment, has the time to attract bait, etc.

The other causes a sudden and unnatural change to the environment, isn't on long enough to draw bait, but will spook fish, just as anything unnatural in the environment can put fish off their feed, whether thet be engine noise, splashing in shallow water, etc.

Spreader lights on a bobbing boat sure don't seem to bother the bass any....just saying...

10 hours ago, Cpalms said:

Spreader lights on a bobbing boat sure don't seem to bother the bass any....just saying...

Boat lights don't count?

:D

20 hours ago, Cpalms said:

That's not my experience.

Might be true in deep water, but fishing shallow water boulder fields, beaches and sod banks, the darker the boat the better; I've seen flashlights hurt the bite.  Fish are spooky when they don't have much water under them.  Blacked-out boat, electric motor, in some cases plugs that don't land with two much of a splash.  I've always found slow, dark, and quiet the best way to go at night.

As one of my friends who has taken a number of truly big fish from the surf says, you want it so dark that the owls are afraid to fly.

Posted (edited) · Report post

If its dark or pitch black on the beach.

My lights are on for visibility, I dont care about you think.

Reds, ambers, whites, on person or on car. Just something.

My vehicle, my safety, I will use headlights, lighters, headlamps, flashlights, ground lights, spotters when I see fit.

Who gives anyone the right to tell me not use or turn off my lights?

Deal with it, swallow it, and shutup.

If you want it dark, and afraid of all headlights or lamps, go fish at night with sunglasses on. You do you, I do me.

Seriously, dont tell others to not use their lights. 

If they cant see well in the dark, do you expect them to drive or fish blind for your sake?

Worse yet, god forbid they run into someone because neither uses lights.

Grow up.

The beach is not only for you to use.

Edited by ooeric

On 10/14/2020 at 10:03 AM, CWitek said:

Severel of my biggest surf caught bass were caught just before and after and even during a boat passing directly over my line,and in fact a beach i regularly fish at night guys are constantly in motion and with there garbage $10 bright lights always on like there trying to have some kind of  contest over who has the brightest headlamp,but i have to say it absolutely has zero affect on the fishing,but i still want to beat the *iss out of them everytime they shine me just because its annoying,

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, ooeric said:

If its dark or pitch black on the beach.

My lights are on for visibility, I dont care about you think.

Reds, ambers, whites, on person or on car. Just something.

My vehicle, my safety, I will use headlights, lighters, headlamps, flashlights, ground lights, spotters when I see fit.

Who gives anyone the right to tell me not use or turn off my lights?

Deal with it, swallow it, and shutup.

If you want it dark, and afraid of all headlights or lamps, go fish at night with sunglasses on. You do you, I do me.

Seriously, dont tell others to not use their lights. 

If they cant see well in the dark, do you expect them to drive or fish blind for your sake?

Worse yet, god forbid they run into someone because neither uses lights.

Grow up.

The beach is not only for you to use.

Lights are g-y no need to cry.  Fish during the day. It’s less scary. 

Edited by hydraman