Midnightpass

You New Englanders, Bread In A Can?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

iWQY6Ml.jpg

https://www.bmbeans.com/product/brown-bread-with-raisins

You New Englanders know about this stuff?... 35-40 years ago we bought this for dry camping... No refrigeration needed, and last forever on the shelf... It doesn't have a lot of crap additives in it... Taste pretty good, heated with butter or cream cheese for breakfast (Kinda like a bran muffin)... I had forgot about it until my wife and I saw it as an ingredient, on a program, on the Food Channel... We looked at each other and said "We've had that"... I called our son and asked if he remembered it.. He did and was intrigued, as we were... I started looking on the internet for it, and saw that I could order it online.. But decided to check out our local markets... They had it, so I bought some for us and our son's family to try out... About as I remember it... You don't need much, as it's dense, and goes a long way... We'll keep a few cans on the shelf for a quick breakfast, or camping... Maybe it's pretty common to you folks up in your neck-o-the-woods... There are many recipes for this on line that sound pretty simple and good... So I may give that a try in the future..

Butch

wow,I have never heard of it.

if it's anything like gingerbread,i'd like it but,,I don't dig raisins in anything but the box.

wonder how it would be with a smearing of apple butter?

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

12 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

wow,I have never heard of it.

if it's anything like gingerbread,i'd like it but,,I don't dig raisins in anything but the box.

wonder how it would be with a smearing of apple butter?

HH

https://www.bmbeans.com/product/brown-bread-plain

It comes without the raisins, but I like the raisin version...

Butch

6 mins ago, Midnightpass said:

https://www.bmbeans.com/product/brown-bread-plain

It comes without the raisins, but I like the raisin version...

Butch

oh,,now you got my belly thinking.

butter on the pan,a slice of this bread with an egg on it and maybe some ham,,yeah,I can dig it now.

ty.

HH

ps-maybe this,4 slices of this bread on yer plate,,cover them with bacon,crispy,then smothercate the whole thing with them baked beans/onion?

sounds good to me.

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

4 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

oh,,now you got my belly thinking.

butter on the pan,a slice of this bread with an egg on it and maybe some ham,,yeah,I can dig it now.

ty.

HH

ps-maybe this,4 slices of this bread on yer plate,,cover them with bacon,crispy,then smothercate the whole thing with them baked beans/onion?

sounds good to me.

:) ... Sounds pretty eatable to me... But you better be hungry... It is dense...

Butch

I've seen it before in stores  but never tried it , If you say it's dense it can't be any worse then the the Pound Cake or Fruit Cake the came in the Army C-Rations from back in the day . They were deadly if thrown 

42 mins ago, jolly mon said:

I've seen it before in stores  but never tried it , If you say it's dense it can't be any worse then the the Pound Cake or Fruit Cake the came in the Army C-Rations from back in the day . They were deadly if thrown 

You can play hockey with B&M brown bread. :laugh:

Had that with beans and franks every damn Saturday night as a kid. You couldn't pay me to eat it now.

45 mins ago, jolly mon said:

You ate that crap???... All I remember was stealing the chocolate and peanut butter out of those things when I was in Vietnam.... Maybe a few other things, can't remember...

Butch

37 mins ago, Midnightpass said:

You ate that crap???... All I remember was stealing the chocolate and peanut butter out of those things when I was in Vietnam.... Maybe a few other things, can't remember...

Butch

The pound cake could be eaten if you poured the syrup from the can peaches or pears and let soak in .

1 hour ago, jolly mon said:

I had my P-38 on my key ring for a long time.  Then one day it was gone.  I had dropped my truck off to be repaired and it wan't on my ring when I picked up the truck.   Of course no one knew anything......... 

Wow, canned bread and P-38's in the same thread, talk about a throwback.

I ate **** tons of canned bread growing up and my father made sure me and my brothers always had P-38's with us when we went camping and fishing.

18 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

a slice of this bread with an egg on it

Just be aware it is quite sweet.

My Mom and Grandmother used to buy it back in the 60's in NJ.