nuub

ccw recomendations

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I have no experience with the variety of pistols available, having never considering the purchase of one, a well placed shotgun protects the house.

I am arthritic and had issues loading the mags and operating a slide in class, aim was good tho..lol

I am thinking a revolver possibly a S&W 38 bodyguard. I live in a warm climate and my everyday wear consists of shorts and Tees so small for concealment and ease of operation is important. Thoughts from someone with more knowledge are welcome

Thanks in advance

Ruger LCR.  With a Crimson Trace Laser. 

LCR has internal hammer. LCRx has external hammer.  

5shot 38special

6shot 327mag(also shoots all other 32cals)

5shot 357mag(also shoots 38special)

8shot 22lr

6shot 22mag. 

9mm 5shot

The magnum ones & the 9mm weigh more than the non magnums. 

Has a very nice double action trigger. The 22s have a heavy pull. 

The laser is great for old eyes. Also dryfire practice. 

I would go with 357mag. You get a little bit more weight, I shoot mainly 38s but always have the option of 357 if thats all I can find.  

411549882.jpg

Edited by PSegnatelli

6 hours ago, nuub said:

I have no experience with the variety of pistols available, having never considering the purchase of one, a well placed shotgun protects the house.

I am arthritic and had issues loading the mags and operating a slide in class, aim was good tho..lol

I am thinking a revolver possibly a S&W 38 bodyguard. I live in a warm climate and my everyday wear consists of shorts and Tees so small for concealment and ease of operation is important. Thoughts from someone with more knowledge are welcome

Thanks in advance

I don't know how old you are, I'm 71 with a neurological disease that has weakened my hand quite a lot. Many automatics I can't rack the slide but there are a few I can. I also can't load any of the magazines with my hands. There are a couple of gadgets that make loading the magazine very easy, what I use is a Maglula for 9mm    https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/maglula-baby-uplula-pistol-magazine-loader

Revolvers are easier to handle and load but in my opinion harder to carry as I usually pocket carry. I carry a 9mm Sig P365, easy for me to rack the slide, 10 shots, and very small. The best thing for you to do is handle and shoot (if you can) different guns and pick the one that fits you the best.

thank y'all for the great advice the research continues, but I have decided where to buy when the time comes. I bounced around a few shops over the last two weeks and one shined in helpfulness, patientness, knowledge and selection.

I am leaning towards a S&W EZ9 and am going to try that one and a few others this week.

Here in Georgia the temperature remains fairly warm to cool expect for a few periods of cold , So it's shorts and tees for warm and long pants and a tee and a hoodie for cold , So for carrying I've got it down to three , Ruger LCP 380 always in my pocket , Glock 43 9mm in a IWB or a S&W 442 38spl in a IWB , all used to get regular range time till this ammo shortage happened , So what I carry depends on what I'm going to wear that day. I have other larger handguns but to conceal a larger gun you have to dress to conceal it and a jacket or one of those vests make you standout , I used to get some young men come in the store and look in the handgun case at some of the smaller guns , They would have on a lite jacket that went below the belt line , Short haircut and always standing straight , I'd walk up to them and ask them if they had graduated the Academy yet , I would get that "How did you know look" and they would ask how I knew that , I'd tell them that they standout , Jackets in July to conceal your issue full size gun , Posture  , Haircut , Polished shoes , They were shocked that I was able to peg them as cops and carrying a gun , They always come in close to graduation to look at what their aloud to carry for off duty that's smaller then there issue gun , So my point is it's not only what you carry and how it's that you need to not stand out to conceal carry .

So the first thing you mention is ....You have NO Experience....yet everyone is recomending hand guns of one type or another.....do yourself a favor....call a local shop and find someone to spend some time training you first.....then....omo.

On 10/11/2020 at 11:30 AM, Mr. Bigdeal said:

So the first thing you mention is ....You have NO Experience....yet everyone is recomending hand guns of one type or another.....do yourself a favor....call a local shop and find someone to spend some time training you first.....then....omo.

I wanted to see if I was on the right track in my thinking, I had been researching for a few months before I posted the question. A local gun store that came highly recommended listened to my needs and concerns and spent a lot of time asking questions. Without ever telling him what I was interested in, here pointed me in the direction of the S&W ez9 which was high on my list. I have paid for 2 separate one hour lessons so far and will probably take one more. 

BTW i did say I had NO pistol experience but I didn't say I had NO common sense..LOL

Thanks to y'all for your help and insight.

listen to mr, bigdeal.  thinking is one thing, acting and doing are totally different matters.  in the best of all worlds, i would strongly suggest you get a local qualified handgun mentor, get thee to a range, try as many different handguns as possible.  even at that, if you train/practice frequently, as we all should, your idea of what's right to carry for defense may, if not will, probably shift and change.  don't rush into it and do yer homework. 

cute little lightweight handguns of all flavors typically conceal well, but small and light are huge bugaboos for noobs to the game, and even some "pros" who think they know what they're doing but classically have made the wrong choice of CCW handgun ... i see this at the range on almost every visit. 

in the matter of all those controversies between semi-auto and revolver, along with "cartridge horsepower" and number of rounds in a magazine or cylinder, are blown out of ridiculous proportion.  what matters most is a handgun that its owner can Control and be reasonably accurate at the FBI 7 yard range.  gun type, cartridge, and number of rounds in the firearm are of lesser importance, for the most part, for most folks. 

handgun practice sessions that always involve the clearing of semi-auto jams and mishaps are important.  ditto for revolver cylinder lockups.  one could go a bit farther and work on firefight reloads as well.  think: murphy's law.  be prepared.

most confrontations with an aggressor are at least stalemated by simply revealing that you are carrying a firearm.  most confrontations taken to the next level that require firearm discharging rarely need more than 1 to 3 rounds on target to stop the threat.  the exception to all of this is an aggressor on drugs.  bullets put down humans via shock.  drugged up perps are far less prone to that shock and can, and have, take multiple hi-power wounds that didn't stop their attack.  this isn't to say we all need to carry 1911's with max loads, or that coming up against a trio of meth heads bent on murder is a typical attack scenario.  life has its gambles.  get informed, do what you think is best for you.  

On 10/18/2020 at 9:53 AM, BeachBob said:

and even some "pros" who think they know what they're doing but classically have made the wrong choice of CCW handgun ... i see this at the range on almost every visit. 

On 10/18/2020 at 10:14 AM, BeachBob said:

most confrontations with an aggressor are at least stalemated by simply revealing that you are carrying a firearm.  most confrontations taken to the next level that require firearm discharging rarely need more than 1 to 3 rounds on target to stop the threat.  

1st cup of coffee is on me.  Presenting a firearm WILL deescalate a situation quickly. 

Carry what you are comfortable with.  Whether a 22LR or 357 fire breather, know that the aggressor is not reading the fine print on the barrel.   Message being...make sure you have a firearm, therefore the choice of presentation.  The caliber discussion is so over the top...a bit ridiculous if we're being honest.

To the OP, IMHO a revolver will forever be the choice.  Tensions high and ask yourself...did I chamber a round, is the safety (if applicable) on/off, FTF...do I have a clearing drill memorized, have I proven my choice of ammunition...it goes on and on.  With the wheel gun, point and squeeze.  No bang...squeeze again.  No one needs questions at 2am whether it''s a parking garage or stumbling from the bedside.

I'm rounding off, but I shoot maybe 5,000 handgun rounds a year.  Yes, I dearly love my semi's but for the daily (meaning real world) carry, the wheel gun wins each and every time.  If I had unlimited funds I would likely still go the same route...Kimber K6S DA only sitting in a Kydex IWB rig.  Find what 38+P your handgun choice prefers and write your local range a 1099 years end.

Practice

smith & wesson 642c - always ready, willing, and most able.  the .38spl is still a very viable cartridge.  snubbies conceal Extremely well, but their 1lb mass weight can be a handful if loaded for bear and may not be for everyone, particularly the ladies.  snubbies should also never have an external hammer spur. 

my 642c, with added modified hogue boot grip that covers the backstrap for added recoil mitigation and control, and i performed a trigger job with new wolff springs.

3.jpg

58 mins ago, mako20ft said:

1st cup of coffee is on me.  Presenting a firearm WILL deescalate a situation quickly. 

Carry what you are comfortable with.  Whether a 22LR or 357 fire breather, know that the aggressor is not reading the fine print on the barrel.   Message being...make sure you have a firearm, therefore the choice of presentation.  The caliber discussion is so over the top...a bit ridiculous if we're being honest.

To the OP, IMHO a revolver will forever be the choice.  Tensions high and ask yourself...did I chamber a round, is the safety (if applicable) on/off, FTF...do I have a clearing drill memorized, have I proven my choice of ammunition...it goes on and on.  With the wheel gun, point and squeeze.  No bang...squeeze again.  No one needs questions at 2am whether it''s a parking garage or stumbling from the bedside.

I'm rounding off, but I shoot maybe 5,000 handgun rounds a year.  Yes, I dearly love my semi's but for the daily (meaning real world) carry, the wheel gun wins each and every time.  If I had unlimited funds I would likely still go the same route...Kimber K6S DA only sitting in a Kydex IWB rig.  Find what 38+P your handgun choice prefers and write your local range a 1099 years end.

Practice

I totally agree one thousand percent, that's why I DON'T keep one next to my bed or at my desk. I have two grandkids too young to be trusted with a gun in the event I accidently forget to lock the the pistol box they're kept in. Keeping an auto loader with no round chambered in a STRONG pistol box for me is the safest and best way to keep a gun for home defense.

I've been using gun my whole life and the best thing I could add is practice , practice pulling an empty gun from where you hide it and pulling the trigger ( with the gun empty } untill it become like an extension of your arm-hand without thinking . Think on this , if you were to come upon someone with a gun would you have enuf experience  to shoot them while moving about so it would be hard for him to shoot you . After you get to where you can hit a target standing still can you hit a target while ducking behind something , In a real gun fight it's not going to be  ,,,,, ok you shoot first and then I'll shoot thing . Learn how to point and shoot without aiming after you get to know your gun .

When I tell all the people who come to shoot at my place they get that "DUH" look on their face when I mention the above . I carry but I don't worry about imprinting on my clothes , the law say conceal . Someone coming to rob people don't look for such things as printing on clothes .