Crazy_Legs

Wetsuit for Kayak fishing?

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I bought a used Hobie Outback today!  I mostly just surf fish but with a lot of free time this fall I decided the time was right to buy a boat.  I have a wetsuit and surftop that I use for fishing in Montauk, I'm wondering if I can put them to use in the kayak? Or should I get a dry suit?  It's still rather warm in NJ where I live and fish, both in terms of air temp and water temp so I'm not sure if a dry suit is warranted  yet or not.  I think by November I will definitely need one, but until then is a wetsuit safe?

If you’re going to get one, might as well do it now and take any unknown out of the equation. However ... short answer is yes ... but go with a buddy and carry a warm cover for the peddle back in the event of an unplanned swim ... later in November and December is drysuit only time ... IMHO

I wear a farmer john wetsuit + splash top with base layers in between out here in CA where the water temperature is a consistent 56-58° F.  It's suitable for those conditions.  I wouldn't want to spend a night at sea in it, but it's fine for your occasional tip over swim.  

Do a search here, and you’ll find plenty of info on both wetsuits and drysuits. Either can work, and there are proponents of both approaches here. 

Edited by fishinbill

I never go out after mid Novemberish in NJ and maybe start up late April early March so take that for what its worth. I picked up a pair of wetsuit pants, full wetsuit jacket, neoprene booties for under $120ish combined. I also wear dry pants (frog toggs $20) over the pants so I don't get splashed and wet, I have a waterproof jacket if its cold and also layer. It's a lot cheaper option than a dry suit. I am def. ok if I don't go in the water, I layer up. In the event I do go in, the wetsuit should do the job and I can pee whenever I want. 

On 10/13/2020 at 9:59 AM, kevbo1756 said:

I never go out after mid Novemberish in NJ and maybe start up late April early March so take that for what its worth. I picked up a pair of wetsuit pants, full wetsuit jacket, neoprene booties for under $120ish combined. I also wear dry pants (frog toggs $20) over the pants so I don't get splashed and wet, I have a waterproof jacket if its cold and also layer. It's a lot cheaper option than a dry suit. I am def. ok if I don't go in the water, I layer up. In the event I do go in, the wetsuit should do the job and I can pee whenever I want. 

Any more details on brand/ model of this outfit? Looking for this exact setup but so many to choose from, a bit overwhelming. Thanks!

2 hours ago, MontclairDave said:

Any more details on brand/ model of this outfit? Looking for this exact setup but so many to choose from, a bit overwhelming. Thanks!

I didn't have a clue but I picked up Lemorecn Adult’s 3mm Wetsuits Jacket and pants. I was please with the quality of the material, the fit and zipper. I'm about 5'7 190ish and got the Large pants and xl top because the arms were tight. If you go in cooler water I'd go with a 5mm a bit warmer. Maybe $40 something for the jacket and the pants were 40.

For the booties I went with a sub $30 pair of Mares and I typically wear a waterproof sock underneath but I was just wearing a warm pair of socks and plastic bags to keep the water out. The socks were a nice add.