Stopsign32v

Quick clips for changing lures fast?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Not only do I buy tons of lures but I enjoy changing out lures when going fishing. Making new knots and losing leader length is not enjoyable. What do you guys think of these quick clips? Are any of them good but lightweight?

I use TA clips

75 lb for most of my stuff but if I'm throwing big plugs for big girls il bump up to the larger size 

They make even smaller ones but I don't have much experience with them 

1 hour ago, SC said:

I would feel more confident pull-testing to destruction than accepting other's opinion as fact

Good idea, what are you using to measure the strain required for destruction?

5 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

Good idea, what are you using to measure the strain required for destruction?

I just strung all competing hardware of the same type to each other and test to destruction, the weak link will always fail first

Thanks for the reply.

Not having a strain gauge, I've done the same with crimp connections on heavy weight tuna gear.  Used my electric trailer winch to pull till destruction.

14 mins ago, BNickW said:

I’ve had 50lbs clips open on me. Be careful.

Any details you could share? Brand? How did they open? Were you trying to tow your boat with them or was a fish on the other side?

15 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

Not only do I buy tons of lures but I enjoy changing out lures when going fishing. Making new knots and losing leader length is not enjoyable. What do you guys think of these quick clips? Are any of them good but lightweight?

I use any of them as long as they are rated above 50lbs.

eagle claw,breakaway,you name it.

right now I am using the breakaways because I bought a 100 of them and have a lot left.

the eagle claws I use for late fall for the smaller fish and smaller lures.

they work since the gear is light.

never had one fail but have had a few distort after a lot of use.

no need to look I just snap it off and snap it on even in the dark.

HH

On 10/10/2020 at 11:22 AM, Stopsign32v said:

Any details you could share? Brand? How did they open? Were you trying to tow your boat with them or was a fish on the other side?

I’m not sure. Either TA or breakaway. Big fish opened a 50lb. Granted I was being kinda foolish. Came across large school of pogies unprepared. Made do and used a deadly dick to snag them and switched out and put circle hook on the clip. Live lined it out there and a blue bit off the body. Lobbed the head back out and let it sink. Obviously in hind sight should have direct tied the circle hook but I was in a rush to not lose the school. Anyway big striper fought for 5 min or so then straightened the clip. Also had a owner 50lb  hyperwire split ring open on a belly hook this summer. Didn’t realize it was so light. Upgraded all big lures split rings.

130BEAEA-7583-418C-B5EF-BA51B6B9236F.jpeg

02958519-A0E0-4A9F-AEEF-1FDD63F4B33D.jpeg

8EC54D97-904B-4F8A-B494-A7F20FDF4A9C.jpeg

1 hour ago, Livefreeordie said:

Anyone else jealous of BNickW right now? I haven't found a fish big enough to pull drag, never mind open a TA Clip, in too long!

Haha, not tryna brag, and honestly I had no idea about the split ring. Even casted the lure a couple times without a belly hook. Big girl must have snatched it off the surface just right and quickly popped it off. No epic thrashing to only get unbuttoned with that one. Both are head scratchers.

7 hours ago, BNickW said:

And yeah, not sure how the line slipped around on the clip like that. That’s how I pulled it up. Def not how it went down.

I think your experience is the exception rather than the rule. 50#, 75# and 125# TA clips have all landed nice fish for me. Don't overthink it OP.