Mark L

Test casting a build

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

What I would like to know is what am I’m looking for durning my test casts?  I figured I’m looking for line slap, distance on what I’m throwing and what else. I can use my phone to slow video the line coming off the reel and seeing how it makes it through the guides. I’ve built two blanks and used 1-2oz sinkers for my casting weights. In hinge sight I should have thrown more of the low weight lures that I would use like 1/2oz bucktail etc. This is a hobby I’ve enjoyed and no way a profession I’m looking to take up. Any help one could give me would be great and thanks. 

Cast various weights, and adjust the guides - different sizes, different locations. Spend a lot of hours doing this and paying attention to how it feels. You'll figure it out on your own if you put the time in experimenting

Follow Billy's advice.  The most important point is time.  Time spent is time learning.

My process if it is a new rod stile for me is to work on the butt section first.  With everything taped up the slop and movement in the butt section can be troubling to concentrate on the guide lay out. Get the fore grip, reel seat, and butt length worked out and glue this up.  You now have a solid base to work with.

For line I use 40# JB hollow core.  It is white so it's easy to see and video.  It is limp and lays flat like a ribbon and blows around in the wind and generally behaves poorly.  If your guide lay out can tame this stuff then your are well on your way.

Enjoy the process.

Charlie

Having a buddy along to film can help. But as Billy, test various weights (not just sinkers), throw what you plan on throwing. But definitely throw sinkers or metals. They get the line coming off the spool fast, that can expose line slap and other issues.

Try to test cast in multiple conditions - no wind, cross wind, etc. I had one build that I thought would be spot on, perform horribly in a cross wind that resulted in some significant changes to the layout. If I had tested on a bluebird day and left it I wouldn't have been happy.

Keep notes on what works and doesn't. Also, try moving certain guides way out of position. That's more to see what happens - move the first one real close, far, etc. That will show you what to look for at other times.

Try different reels on the build. Some guys feel strongly about building a rod to a specific reel, I don't. Reels break, new ones come out. Try different lines, again test with what you're going to use but try higher and lower.

Slow your casting down so you can see what's going on. Listen carefully for line slap and other sounds. Watch or film at the first few guides - a well placed stripper but a poorly guide after that can **** things up.

Here's a neat trick for making line slap or even wrap-around-the-blank easy to spot:

Sprinkle talcum powder on the blank just in front of the 1st/stripper and 2nd guide and go cast.

No layout is 100% immune, but a bad case will be as obvious as the trace evidence on the blank

Will definitely try the powder trick and listen for the line. Went out today to a field, did some casting and got some good slow motion video. Did a few adjustments, gonna move some guides around a bit more and try tomorrow. Wind was pretty steady which was good, I was able to cast in all directions to see how things worked out. I was throwing soft plastics on 1/2oz jig heads. Then a old guy walking by asked if I caught anything. Lol I let 

Just a hobby for me too and really look forward to trying a lot of this advice.  Read some of it a while back spread across other posts and topics but this will be an awesome resource. 

One testing tip from surffishermike that helped me a lot was to add test casts with less aerodynamic plugs (metal lip bomber or your favorite wet sock). I found the drop in line speed exaggerated issues and helped dial in several builds. 

Well I spent more time casting with two different reels and changed stripper guides. I moved guides around, used different lures all light stuff 3/8oz jigs with ablie snacks, bucktails and soft plastics. The reel the rod is intended for casts very nice, minimal line noise the larger reel a bit of line noise. My videos aren’t showing any line slap from either strippers so I guess I’m on the right track. Gonna do the powder tomorrow forgot it today. I feel that I’m getting good distance casting into a 15 mph ish wind but more casting is obviously needed, gonna throw heavier stuff tomorrow and see what happens. I’ll keep up dating as I go along and thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated 

This is the rod I posted about a while back that I wanted to clean up the scratched finish. I didn’t like the KR concept this rod was built on, the original reel was much smaller then what I use. The rod was bought for little money and a lami that was cut. Guides were removed, blanks wet sanded and resealed with Permagloss. It’s gonna be a early spring late fall rod. 

You're looking for the best average distance, line choke/overrun on the stripper, and slap

You going cone of flight, or hard choke straight run ?

15 mins ago, Sudsy said:

You're looking for the best average distance, line choke/overrun on the stripper, and slap

You going cone of flight, or hard choke straight run ?

I’m using a NCG layout for the build.