RKG1

Rod for Roosters in Mexico

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I am looking for recommendations for a rod (a blank to build actually) for Rooster surf fishing in Mexico.  The rod will be used for surfcasting from shore with a high speed retrieve spinning reel casting surface lures.  Distance casting is key, with a lure range of 2-3oz.  I don't expect to cast more than 3 oz (I have a different rod for that) so the rod's sweet spot must be in the 2-3 oz range.  What is out there these days?  

2 hours ago, RKG1 said:

I am looking for recommendations for a rod (a blank to build actually) for Rooster surf fishing in Mexico.  The rod will be used for surfcasting from shore with a high speed retrieve spinning reel casting surface lures.  Distance casting is key, with a lure range of 2-3oz.  I don't expect to cast more than 3 oz (I have a different rod for that) so the rod's sweet spot must be in the 2-3 oz range.  What is out there these days?  

Century Sling Shot 1505 is a great option, rated 1-4 but really shines at 2-3.  Also the Surf Machine Elite 1-6oz 12' would be great. Amazing distance with minimal effort. Both have all the power to handle the fish down there.

LOL, I see now that there is a long post on is same topic from just a few days ago... Sorry about the duplicative post..  Scary part is that now I even remember reading that entire post but forgot about it that fast...

AFMike, thanks for the response.  I already have a Sling Shot 1505-5 that is my main rod in Mexico.  I love it of course.  I am now just seeing what else nay be out there just for the hell of it.  I think the elites are out of my price range, even though I paid almost that much for the 1505-5.

AFMike,  is the sling shot 1505 with graphene the same specs as a ss1505 without graphene?  moderate fast action, lure range 1-4oz and mono line range 10-30lb?  I saw

a website list the graphene 1505 as 2-5 oz fast action.  So I am looking for clarification.

Also is there a way identify the graphene blank from a non-graphene blank but looking at it?

What is the blank weights of the ss1505 graphene vs. non-graphene blanks?

Thanks

Edited by RKG1

Where are you located?

I have a rod from Japan that started out as a 12' cut down to 11'-6" that puts a 2 3/8oz SS Popper into the next zip code. 

Lou