Mike Fixter

lead melting pot

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Today I attempted to pour/mold tail weights.  I've been using an OLD Lee 20 lb pot.  For the last several years I've had to continually tinker with it & today I tinkered it right into the garbage can..... So now I am looking to buy a new lead melting pot.  I think 20 pounds is plenty big enough but I am wondering if any of you fellow plug builders/lead molders have found anything you feel might be an improvement over my old 20 lb Lee pot.   Thanks..... Mike    p.s.  Hey TinMan where are you?

Sounds like the same one that I use. Mine does not have a pour spout. Use a ladle with it. If I'm just needing a small batch, palmer hot pot works well. Holds 4 pounds of lead and you can pour straight from the pot.

9 hours ago, Jig Man said:

Sounds like the same one that I use. Mine does not have a pour spout. Use a ladle with it. If I'm just needing a small batch, palmer hot pot works well. Holds 4 pounds of lead and you can pour straight from the pot.

I use the same pot. plus a small hot pot. I have a plumbers pot with a older type propane tank that I cant get filled. When I pour the large mojo 's I use the small hot pot to fill the mold, then refill with the molten lead from the larger one. The ladle I have is too small for the larger pours, I pour in my shed with the door open and a fan running. I  constantly will walk out the door after I add the lead to the pot . I do this for myself and friends not professionally only a few times a year .It works for me. 

Another vote for the little hot pot 2 .. it’s simple and easy and gets lead good and hot and easy to pour from . Might be slightly slower then bottom pour pot cause it doesn’t hold as much lead , but no dealing with clogged spout and lead poring to cool