Two hand fly lines for the salt

Rate this topic

Ajefferslyon

I typically only use Intermediate lines but Sierra Trading Post that these Skagit Floaters on sale for $29 each so got these to play around with.    This weight works well for my Mike Oliver TH II rods !!

HT

image.jpeg.e55996515fb1a00c76442df7ba3d0b29.jpeg

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

Probably going to need to put (at least) 120 to 140g tips on those two Skagits for overhead casting.  So that's ~690g and 740g when full aerialized.  If no tip is added both of these will dump really early.   That rod of Mike's will get a real workout.  I think the main use for these would be hucking seriously large flies.

In contrast, the Rage 450g can be used with a light polyleader (40-90g) or a long mono leader.  490g to 540g when airborne.  Big difference.  Make sure not to add too much grains when picking a tip.  This isn't a skagit head.  Somewhere between scandi and skagit.  YMMV.

Edited by Killiefish

5 hours ago, Killiefish said:

Probably going to need to put (at least) 120 to 140g tips on those two Skagits for overhead casting.  So that's ~690g and 740g when full aerialized.  If no tip is added both of these will dump really early.   That rod of Mike's will get a real workout.  I think the main use for these would be hucking seriously large flies.

In contrast, the Rage 450g can be used with a light polyleader (40-90g) or a long mono leader.  490g to 540g when airborne.  Big difference.  Make sure not to add too much grains when picking a tip.  This isn't a skagit head.  Somewhere between scandi and skagit.  YMMV.

I use a regular poly leader no issues 

What's a "regular" polyleader?  There are many lengths and weights/sink rates of polyleaders but most weigh less than 80-95g.  I suppose with a heavy sinking polyleader and a heavily weighted and bulky fly maybe a 570 to 600g skagit head could be more balanced and might turn over more slowly and not dump as much.  In general use, polyleaders are too light to use with heavy skagit heads.

Killiefish my Mark II will eat 700 grains for breakfast. The problem that the vast majority of guys fishing two hand rods is that they will have no idea of just how powerful my rods are. 700 grains is no workout for my Mark II. Having said that it will cast 550 no.probs either.  You just can't compare them to any other so called beach rod. Way more powerful way stiffer. It seriously helps if the User can cast well. That's another story but sadly I have not seen great overhead casting of TH rods very often on the beach. Most guys move from single to double and take the same issues with them. Put the right guy with the right TH and he would probably shock and awe.

What is interesting to me is that when taking  the AAPGAI double hander assessment we have to overhead the 10 wt spey line which is really a bit too heavy. But modern rods can do this. The issues show up though when the wind comes from the front. My biggest regret is that I have not been able to demonstrate in person to enough people in the USA what is possible. 15 years on Sol has had minimal impact sadly allied to the reluctance to be prepared to invest in designs that cost more but truly deliver. Never understood this.  

Mike

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

Killiefish my Mark II will eat 700 grains for breakfast. The problem that the vast majority of guys fishing two hand rods is that they will have no idea of just how powerful my rods are. 700 grains is no workout for my Mark II. Having said that it will cast 550 no.probs either.  You just can't compare them to any other so called beach rod. Way more powerful way stiffer. It seriously helps if the User can cast well. That's another story but sadly I have not seen great overhead casting of TH rods very often on the beach. Most guys move from single to double and take the same issues with them. Put the right guy with the right TH and he would probably shock and awe.

What is interesting to me is that when taking  the AAPGAI double hander assessment we have to overhead the 10 wt spey line which is really a bit too heavy. But modern rods can do this. The issues show up though when the wind comes from the front. My biggest regret is that I have not been able to demonstrate in person to enough people in the USA what is possible. 15 years on Sol has had minimal impact sadly allied to the reluctance to be prepared to invest in designs that cost more but truly deliver. Never understood this.  

Mike

Just make a YouTube video we call can watch and learn from thank you 

On 5/15/2024 at 12:00 PM, Killiefish said:

I noticed the head is a lot longer than my Skagit line it kinda seems like a Obs head length shouldn’t be an issue to roll cast launch it out but I’m going out tomorrow I’ll see 

1 hour ago, athanasios said:

I noticed the head is a lot longer than my Skagit line it kinda seems like a Obs head length shouldn’t be an issue to roll cast launch it out but I’m going out tomorrow I’ll see 

Yes the Rage 450g head is 29ft.  around 5-7 ft longer than most Skagits which are usually 22-23ft. 

Mike, I don't think 700g overhead would be a problem for your rod or one of the stiffer carp rod conversions.  It's that the O.P. is using a different rod that IMO probably can't handle that much.  His rod maxes out at around 510g to 540g used overhead.  I know because I have the earlier version of it.  Just trying to recommend a match.  Not commenting on whether 450g + 90g tip is enough for out front, etc...  Good to see you are still posting and feisty, tho.

Killie I think we are at cross purposes. My comments related to Hill Tops choice.of lines and sure he would need tips . But even with tips my Mark II would be in its comfort zone . My fiesty side is softening. Lol. I wish that one day you could get your hands on my Mark II and Mark III. We would not need to debate then.  Cheers Mike

2 hours ago, athanasios said:

Just make a YouTube video we call can watch and learn from thank you 

I am old school. I ran free workshops. Take up small.

If you can dig it out try Googling  up Mike Oliver casting his Two hander Montauk 2012. John Morgan. The correct video is set to the music of dueling banjos.  On John Morgan's list is another vid extreme fly casting plus another one called down down. These vids show what floats my boat and why I want powerful TH sticks for the surf. My vision and reason for TH surf fly is to fish in hard but fun conditions. 

My cast has evolved since 2012 but I have no appetite to go make a video. I am not interested in making one on a field over grass or snow. Only in the ocean and when the conditions are right ie nasty. That needs a team of guys to get it done and the right gear. Not easy to set up or fund. I am at the point now of backing off. The ship has sailed for me.

Mike

52 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

I am old school. I ran free workshops. Take up small.

If you can dig it out try Googling  up Mike Oliver casting his Two hander Montauk 2012. John Morgan. The correct video is set to the music of dueling banjos.  On John Morgan's list is another vid extreme fly casting plus another one called down down. These vids show what floats my boat and why I want powerful TH sticks for the surf. My vision and reason for TH surf fly is to fish in hard but fun conditions. 

My cast has evolved since 2012 but I have no appetite to go make a video. I am not interested in making one on a field over grass or snow. Only in the ocean and when the conditions are right ie nasty. That needs a team of guys to get it done and the right gear. Not easy to set up or fund. I am at the point now of backing off. The ship has sailed for me.

Mike

Yeah I agree it’s so effortless to launch 100ft in the grass.. the ocean is a different animal . Yeah blue bird days are sweet but I guess the really bad days I stay home. I just deal with the wind. Trial and error more error than success but I look at it as a learning experience 

On 5/16/2024 at 5:58 PM, Killiefish said:

What's a "regular" polyleader?  There are many lengths and weights/sink rates of polyleaders but most weigh less than 80-95g.  I suppose with a heavy sinking polyleader and a heavily weighted and bulky fly maybe a 570 to 600g skagit head could be more balanced and might turn over more slowly and not dump as much.  In general use, polyleaders are too light to use with heavy skagit heads.

That’s exactly what I use a salmon poly leader in different sink rates  with an intermediate head  standard ten foot