Ajefferslyon

Two hand fly lines for the salt

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

Killie,

Other than the RIO OB Short intermediate - I fish exclusively with Wulff BT Short floaters.

The lighter weights do have short heads in the mid 20's.  But the #15 has a 30' head.

And, they are not like the Commando heads.  The Wulff Ambush Short IS similar, but better IMO, than the Commando.

Herb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HL said:

Killie,

Other than the RIO OB Short intermediate - I fish exclusively with Wulff BT Short floaters.

The lighter weights do have short heads in the mid 20's.  But the #15 has a 30' head.

And, they are not like the Commando heads.  The Wulff Ambush Short IS similar, but better IMO, than the Commando.

Herb

Thanks for the correction.  Their website information is wrong then re: length of the heads (at least for the #15) I guess.  The Ambush Short is also a floater?  I think that's true...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HillTop said:

 

Oso,

 

Occasionally log into the Sierra Trading Post website for decent pricing on fly lines.   Can't always find the grain weight you are looking for but if you look often enough you may hit it right.     This is one of the intermediates I purchased there.  400 grain up to 640 grain.

 

HT

skagit.jpg.29ca5f480dfa24501c6e35659aa92d1d.jpg

These are great heads.  Newbies need to know that you have to add tips to these Skagit heads.  For overhead casting, these plus 10 to 12ft tips that are around 1/4 (0.25x) the weight of the head or even a bit heavier seem to work well.  Can be intermediate tips or sink tips. Make your own tips from old intermediate lines or T material if you want to save some bucks.  YMMV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, Killiefish said:

Thanks for the correction.  Their website information is wrong then re: length of the heads (at least for the #15) I guess.  The Ambush Short is also a floater?  I think that's true...

Yes - the Ambush is a floater.

The short is great for single hand Spey.

Herb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serum fly line is integrated, floating heads only up to 450g with clear intermediate tip (100g).

 

 
Serum Saltwater Fly Lines
Total Weight (gr) Head Weight (gr) Tip Weight (gr) Head + Tip Length (ft) Total Length
250 150 100 37 120
300 200 100 37 120
350 250 100 36 120
400 300 100 35 120
450 350 100 34 130
500 400 100 34 130
550 450 100 34 130

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Killiefish said:

Serum fly line is integrated, floating heads only up to 450g with clear intermediate tip (100g).

 

 
Serum Saltwater Fly Lines
Total Weight (gr) Head Weight (gr) Tip Weight (gr) Head + Tip Length (ft) Total Length
250 150 100 37 120
300 200 100 37 120
350 250 100 36 120
400 300 100 35 120
450 350 100 34 130
500 400 100 34 130
550 450 100 34 130

 

Personally i had terrible luck with the Serum tip system line,  many cracks in the casing in less than two short seasons of use.

 

HT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serum line and tips are still made and available.  They are meant to match up with the Beulah Opal Surf rods, also still available.

 

The 9/10 Opal with the 450 head and 100g (12' tip) is a matched set up.  The tips are tapered.  Profile of the head plus tip resembles a standard multi-tip shooting head system and the full set of head plus 3 tips (float, int, sink) is around $120.  I had not heard about any Q/C issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2020 at 5:29 PM, Killiefish said:

This is great stuff.  I want to add that I think (not sure) that the  Scientific Anglers Skagit Intermediates I've been using are not perhaps as rear weighted as the generic Skagit head diagram, above, shows.  I haven't pulled out a caliper, or weighed each foot.  I do know that they are thinner diameter in general than the Skagit floaters -- which I sometimes refer to as "bloaters."  

W.r.t. triangle tapers:

I love the triangle taper in general  for my single hand rods, but haven't been able to find any intermediates above 11wt or so to use with TH rods.  There are probably some Triangle Taper Spey lines, but in floating only I believe.

I got calipers with accurancy down to .001 inch (I think) and learned that the heads (or my heads at least) are all over the place on diameter.  Not an exact sort of thing I concluded.  Also, the head might be compressed sideways or something and that throws it off too.  Went back to feeling the taper changes with my fingers.  But I guess they are helpful for ball park.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/16/2020 at 1:46 PM, Killiefish said:

I am adding a couple more tapers for folks to look at and consider.  The first is a shooting head taper which is close to what I think I have in a few AirFlo heads labeled Tactical (or Tactical Steelhead) Shooting Head (35ft, comes in float, int, sink 3) only available up to 460g though) with a 12ft versileader on front.  The second is a foreshortened look at the Rio iFlight head, attached to the same 12ft versileader.  The iFlights are pretty nice casting heads for THOH casting.  Some might not like the fat rear floating portion though.  I've tried them in 425g and 475g with tips of 100g to 140g and they flat out work properly; turnover is pretty good.  Might be because of the tapered intermediate portion that is already part of the head.  So add an int tip (10ft Rio Replacement or 10ft Rio iMow full int tip) and you're in business.  Could also add a sinking tip making the whole combo a F/Int/sink.

 

 

 

Front taper has that "compound taper" as Al Buhr calls it.  This is when the rate of the taper increases, as opposed to a single, steady rate of taper.  Al says compound is best.  

 

 

5f8dc73555a4c_compoundtaper.jpg.7fd9d6c66fae08cdebd75ad32b84b978.jpg

Edited by Ajefferslyon
typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you mean rear. The lighter color is the floating rear portion of the head. Grey is intermediate front portion.  And black is the sinking (in this case) 12ft versileader.  A short rear taper on this head means that you might want to pair it with a shooting line that has a thick handling section at the front of it. Probably also running line would be a floater to match the rear head which is also floater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 mins ago, Killiefish said:

I think you mean rear. The lighter color is the floating rear portion of the head. Grey is intermediate front portion.  And black is the sinking (in this case) 12ft versileader.  A short rear taper on this head means that you might want to pair it with a shooting line that has a thick handling section at the front of it. Probably also running line would be a floater to match the rear head which is also floater.

Palm to forehead.  Totally makes more sense now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.