Ajefferslyon

Two hand fly lines for the salt

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

Funny because the freshwater craze is now all about short heavy heads (Commando) where the ratio is more like 2:1 or even less.  I wonder if that's why Wulff went to 22-24ft for their saltwater Bermuda Shortz.  Have not tried that line but suspect it would behave like an ultra short commando skagit with a 10-12ft two hand rod.  Not delicate on delivery but heavy payloads o.k. and really great for tighter spaces.  Am thinking jetties, steep beaches, or sod banks behind.

3 hours ago, FishHawk II said:

A Question for you Hill if you use the floater and fish a weighted fly like fresh water trout nymph would that not work for you? FisHawk

Probably not.    To get comparable depth I'd probably need a much longer leader and to be honest  with a longer leader I tend to get more issues with knots than I care to mention.   Some of it's my fault with trailing loops but why look for trouble when in most cases a 6' to 9' leader is sufficient.   Additionally next year I'm thinking of reducing my time fishing weighted flies as casting outfront is tough enough without having to deal with errant flies in the back of the head or as worst yet like just happened to me a little over a week ago on my TH Mike Oliver blank  :(  At least I have the winter to get it replaced.

ouch.jpg.a9f2d2693fdd311506cf66d1dfe4e801.jpg

Also since I'm using an Skagit intermediate I like the option of adding mow/poly tips to vary depth for the water I'm covering though I guess this could be done with the   Bermuda Triangle Short if the head is as short as Killie is stating it is.

HT

I'm just getting into the TH game and the info in this thread is immensely helpful. I've so far purchased 12 lines to test out. Hopefully, something will just pair well and shoot like a dream.

14 hours ago, pokie said:

I'm just getting into the TH game and the info in this thread is immensely helpful. I've so far purchased 12 lines to test out. Hopefully, something will just pair well and shoot like a dream.

Yes pokie!  I was hoping this would be helpful

On 10/14/2020 at 2:48 PM, SSPey said:

It is great to see some discussion of actual tapers.  I’ve done a lot of experimenting myself, and agree with much of what’s written above. Note that the weird weight-forward Outbound taper is only on the floating version. The effect of that forward mass is  exactly as described above - to delay loop turnover, followed by sudden turnover at the end.  Given all the tradeoffs in play, that’s not such a bad thing in a big game line.  However, the Outbound sinkers are primarily level lines with very modest, normal, forward and rear tapers.  The sinkers also have intrinsically strong turnover at the end because sinking lines are skinny, less air resistance, and so naturally sail through the air and turn over with more authority than floaters.  

Great point out SSpey - that is just the floating taper.  Thanks. And your right the sudden turnover at the end aint all that bad.  And good point on the lower air resistance -- real factor. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am adding a couple more tapers for folks to look at and consider.  The first is a shooting head taper which is close to what I think I have in a few AirFlo heads labeled Tactical (or Tactical Steelhead) Shooting Head (35ft, comes in float, int, sink 3) only available up to 460g though) with a 12ft versileader on front.  The second is a foreshortened look at the Rio iFlight head, attached to the same 12ft versileader.  The iFlights are pretty nice casting heads for THOH casting.  Some might not like the fat rear floating portion though.  I've tried them in 425g and 475g with tips of 100g to 140g and they flat out work properly; turnover is pretty good.  Might be because of the tapered intermediate portion that is already part of the head.  So add an int tip (10ft Rio Replacement or 10ft Rio iMow full int tip) and you're in business.  Could also add a sinking tip making the whole combo a F/Int/sink.

Airflo-Tactical.jpg.6809bfbd56e6ec98509a98290eac5d18.jpg

Rio-i-Flight-600-w-12ftversi.jpg

Edited by Killiefish

I am going to use t14 30 feet . I got a demo  this season by a guy from Maine. It cast like a rocket . You can also use T17 but he recommended  trying the T14 to start with . We're talking Spey rods here not switch rod. 

FishHawk

Currently have a 12’6 2 hander(8wt) Fortunate that i only went through one line to get where I needed to be. I’ve been using a 525gr rio short skagit head and most commonly a 10ft section of t-14sometimes I’ll use t8 if the current isnt really ripping.

Given that this rod is an absolute meat stick I have half a mind to bump up to ~600gr for my skagit head to see just how far I can get my casts. (Even though distance is usually the last thing to worry about)

Edited by Oso

On 10/15/2020 at 4:27 PM, HillTop said:

Probably not.    To get comparable depth I'd probably need a much longer leader and to be honest  with a longer leader I tend to get more issues with knots than I care to mention.   Some of it's my fault with trailing loops but why look for trouble when in most cases a 6' to 9' leader is sufficient.   Additionally next year I'm thinking of reducing my time fishing weighted flies as casting outfront is tough enough without having to deal with errant flies in the back of the head or as worst yet like just happened to me a little over a week ago on my TH Mike Oliver blank  :(  At least I have the winter to get it replaced.

ouch.jpg.a9f2d2693fdd311506cf66d1dfe4e801.jpg

Also since I'm using an Skagit intermediate I like the option of adding mow/poly tips to vary depth for the water I'm covering though I guess this could be done with the   Bermuda Triangle Short if the head is as short as Killie is stating it is.

HT

Ooooof my heart breaks for you. Honestly didn’t even know they had a skagit intermediate line. That honestly might be the answer to all my woes. It’s not that I don’t like fishing different tips (not only does it make me look cool, I get to spend extra $$ on them!) but when I pop from spot to spot I feel like it’s more advantageous to have something closer to an all around line. Thanks for this info

2 hours ago, Oso said:

Ooooof my heart breaks for you. Honestly didn’t even know they had a skagit intermediate line. That honestly might be the answer to all my woes. It’s not that I don’t like fishing different tips (not only does it make me look cool, I get to spend extra $$ on them!) but when I pop from spot to spot I feel like it’s more advantageous to have something closer to an all around line. Thanks for this info

Oso,

Occasionally log into the Sierra Trading Post website for decent pricing on fly lines.   Can't always find the grain weight you are looking for but if you look often enough you may hit it right.     This is one of the intermediates I purchased there.  400 grain up to 640 grain.

HT

skagit.jpg.29ca5f480dfa24501c6e35659aa92d1d.jpg

Great site I have also gotten some good deals on that site. So here is a general question. Are most of you two handed rod users overhand casting and not spey casting? I think that this is the crux of the issue here with choosing lines .

I am mostly overhand casting but I have seen the spey in action and I will try to master that form of casting. 

Thanks FishHawk 

3 hours ago, FishHawk II said:

Great site I have also gotten some good deals on that site. So here is a general question. Are most of you two handed rod users overhand casting and not spey casting? I think that this is the crux of the issue here with choosing lines .

I am mostly overhand casting but I have seen the spey in action and I will try to master that form of casting. 

Thanks FishHawk 

FH,

All of the folk I've seen at the Cape fishing TH rods cast overhead, never seen anyone spey cast.  My rod is on Mike Oliver's blank, which he designed for OH casting.    That's the only way I use it and I believe Mike mentioned his particular blank is best suited for OH.     I do have a Hardy Zephrus 13'6" TH rod I won in a raffle at the Bear's Den two years ago, though yet to be cast,  that I believe was designed to be used for both overhead casting and spey based on input from their rod guy, Walt Geryk.  I met Walt at the Bear's Den at the Hardy presentation the day I won the rod.   Actually brought the rod I built on Mike's blank and let him test cast it. (overhead).    Took him only a couple of casts to get a feel for the action and he was pumping out casts considerably longer than I ever could.  You could tell by the look on his face he was pretty impressed and mentioned the rod had significant backbone (or words to that effect) but I suspect being a Hardy guy he couldn't comment much further.        This is from the SpeyDoctor website where he posted the following about the rod I won.

hardy.jpg.52437911eda9876e5c0f91305d88b2b5.jpg

The Hardy Zephrus Rod seems like a well built rod but could neve bring myself to line it up and cast is as it just doesn't have the backbone that Mike's blanks have.   Not only that the grip diameter is much too small, especially having built my grip to Mike's specifications holding the Hardy I can see where fatigue might be an issue with such a small diameter grip. 

HT

Edited by HillTop

I think the angler from Maine name is Allen. He uses a spey rod with 30' of T14 and T17 and can cast rather far with that setup. Hopefully you guys will see him in Action. He comes to the Cape and fishes where we all fish (you know the spot).  That's the set up I'm going to try next season. I over hand with my single handed T&T Vector and do ok with it. But I'm going to try Allen's set up and see how I do. 

I hope to run into you sometimes . FishHawk

19 mins ago, FishHawk II said:

I think the angler from Maine name is Allen. He uses a spey rod with 30' of T14 and T17 and can cast rather far with that setup. Hopefully you guys will see him in Action. He comes to the Cape and fishes where we all fish (you know the spot).  That's the set up I'm going to try next season. I over hand with my single handed T&T Vector and do ok with it. But I'm going to try Allen's set up and see how I do. 

I hope to run into you sometimes . FishHawk

i think beter choice en versatility is rio 23' shooting head 725 grain and 10' T-14 is 170 grain that is 900 grain,in shalow water you replace T-14 with mono line.you can use any line,the shooting head do the work.you can use any weight shooting head it is jointed with loop.

i like the NGT rod .it has big eylets ,any loop go true.

i think if you build 2handed rod you should use big eylets,you are not ading to much weight and the joints on line go beter true.

Edited by snag777