Evil-Bay

Fish caught on top water plugs!

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

I love throwing top water plugs.  Still a learning experience for me but love the blow ups behind it.

What have you all caught on top water plugs?

Here's mine so far..

IMG_20200830_082032.jpg

What's really a bunch of fun is finding BlueFish feeding and switching to a Hookless Popper. Just watching them attack and not be able to grab on is very entertaining. My buddy and I used to compete Hookless for breakfast. Winner was the first to have a BlueFish clamp down on the hookless plug long enough to lift it out of the water before it let go.

Hello. 

Used a similar method on CapeCod for blues.,

We fished the rips with a hook less plug, When the blues started to attack

the plug, we would cast out a Deceiver and start stripping.

Caught many blues in the 12 to 15 pound range using this method.

My partner and I would alternate between the spinning rod and the 

fly rod.

Lots of fun.

Kept 1 for a meal and smoked the rest.

Last two weekends, double-headers. Jacks and then bluefish last week. 

That's what happens during our mullet run...

90095168-58B7-4FB7-9701-F73F685A6C73_1_105_c.jpeg.af0fc5204ff56d0c4af30867d35f8ec0.jpeg

892EE626-58F2-479C-8793-EB929BD704FF_1_105_c.jpeg.f29561dd3fc6b61c0c23d882e695af5c.jpeg

D7B4BE0F-8E84-4C81-8EDC-92C3028F6A50_1_105_c.jpeg.9e0dd3223a8a3e429c1efec37af7b5e7.jpeg

8 mins ago, Sandeel95 said:

Hello. 

Used a similar method on CapeCod for blues.,

We fished the rips with a hook less plug, When the blues started to attack

the plug, we would cast out a Deceiver and start stripping.

Caught many blues in the 12 to 15 pound range using this method.

My partner and I would alternate between the spinning rod and the 

fly rod.

Lots of fun.

Kept 1 for a meal and smoked the rest.

A 40' cast would have been enough for either of the above. By Sunday, the wind was 15-20 out of the East and only plugs would work. 

4 mins ago, bbfish said:

C5BAEE1C-41BE-4872-802C-51BDE6B95FC1.jpeg

Great catch. Can't imagine watching a school of those thrashing bait on top. 

So last Saturday we had mullet everywhere, but two different distances off the beach. On the inside group, jacks, snook and tarpon. On the furthest group, it was larger tarpon, blacktip sharks and then something else, something we don't see often. Either the biggest false albacore I have ever seen (20 pounds) or small tuna, likely bluefin. As hard as I tried, I would not get a plug out that far. That largest MagDarter I had could not make it and then they were gone. But hooking a tuna from the beach would have been something to remember..... 

1 min ago, flyangler said:

Great catch. Can't imagine watching a school of those thrashing bait on top. 

So last Saturday we had mullet everywhere, but two different distances off the beach. On the inside group, jacks, snook and tarpon. On the furthest group, it was larger tarpon, blacktip sharks and then something else, something we don't see often. Either the biggest false albacore I have ever seen (20 pounds) or small tuna, likely bluefin. As hard as I tried, I would not get a plug out that far. That largest MagDarter I had could not make it and then they were gone. But hooking a tuna from the beach would have been something to remember..... 

If you're in florida bluefin would be a long shot, not impossible, but a good size false albecore or a blackfin would be far more likely.  Everything else you mentioned will take a popper, especially when feeding on mullet.  The blacktips are alot of fun on topwater, just be ready to lose a ton of gear.

2 mins ago, bbfish said:

If you're in florida bluefin would be a long shot, not impossible, but a good size false albecore or a blackfin would be far more likely.  Everything else you mentioned will take a popper, especially when feeding on mullet.  The blacktips are alot of fun on topwater, just be ready to lose a ton of gear.

Sorry, I meant to say blackfin. Not sure if I mistyped or if iOS "spell checked" me. 

We have taken blackfin less than a mile off the beach so they are out there. Given the amount of bait in the water and the distance off the beach, it could have been. 

Three weeks ago, also taken on the spook-like plug above. 

768487D7-C00D-4587-BDA8-F740C42F26B4_1_105_c.jpeg.b43733ba0c0660736f10064aee48ddb7.jpeg

From earlier time, our local late-season albies, live chumming, with fly rod and crease flies on top, but not a plug

990D8107-37AD-409C-B4AB-4C4CCBDD7067_1_105_c.jpeg.1ce601c5b314a669b2300f4b9a69bd34.jpeg

45 mins ago, XBMX said:

What's really a bunch of fun is finding BlueFish feeding and switching to a Hookless Popper. Just watching them attack and not be able to grab on is very entertaining. My buddy and I used to compete Hookless for breakfast. Winner was the first to have a BlueFish clamp down on the hookless plug long enough to lift it out of the water before it let go.

^^^ This. When we are out for a live chumming trip for albies that size, I am done after 6 or 7. Quite a bit of work so I will switch to a hookless plug just to watch the fish slam it on top. Best are when they send it 10 feet into the air....