Spigola

Clash lo profile reels

13 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2020 at 10:02 AM, Spigola said:

Any idea when they will hit the stores

If you mean the Squall or the Fathom -- I don't think there's a Clash baitcast -- then I'm hearing late October. 

Maybe one of the guys on Hunting Park Avenue will chime in -- I'm two miles away, and I don't think they want me to go down there and squeeze an answer out of them. :D

Any more info on these beauties?

Was hopeful they were in the Fam with Abu Revo Beast saltwater reels. From my perspective the most refined and smooth SW Baitcasters out there with plenty of nuts.

Edited by johndtuttle

14 hours ago, johndtuttle said:

Any more info on these beauties?

Was hopeful they were in the Fam with Abu Revo Beast saltwater reels. From my perspective the most refined and smooth SW Baitcasters out there with plenty of nuts.

:read:

These things look killer for both back bay and inshore fishing. Once you use a low-profile baitcaster, it's hard to go back to a round one, because a low-profile reel is so ergonomically superior. 

From what I can tell, the smaller models weight something like 8 or 9 ounces, which means that with a good (and light) custom rod, you can put together a backbay outfit that weighs well under a pound (the North Fork X-Ray blanks weigh 2 ounces! :eek:).  That's pretty amazing, considering the rigs I remember fishing for flounder with when I was a kid. And you will not sacrifice power for weight: my brother caught a 65-pound cow-nosed ray with a bass rod and a Penn Sargus baitcast, and these new low-profile baitcasts appear to be significantly better than the old Sargus low-profile. 

Yea, those vids don't really tell the tale.

If they are produced in the same factory and to the same standards as the Revo Toro Beast Penn will sell a lot of reels. They are the best in class in a large SW baitcaster in a very, very competitive field which is saying a lot when you list Okuma Komodo, Daiwa Saltist and Shimano Tranx.

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Do either one come with both magnetic cast control and a clicker ?

Squall has magnetic cast control.

Fathom has both magnetic and centrifuge brake cast control.

No clicker on either one.

One thing about baitcasters that always concerns me, for bottom fishing, is the tendency of the thumb bar to jam or hang up when using a substantial sinker. It's why I prefer to limit my Lexa use to casting, and reach for a Saltiga 35H or a Newell when blackfishing. Is there any design difference in these new Penns that would reduce the load on the thumb bar, as compared to earlier reels?

The question occurs to me simply because the talking head in the video referred to blackfish.