Domjolly

Ssvi 4500, rough clunking after landing a respectable size fish

9 posts in this topic

Hi Penn and anyone else reading. 
Last night while fishing a very calm backwater bay. I unexpectedly hooked a 38” striper. This spot usually holds schoolies sized fish and cocktail blues. I must say I was very impressed with the reel as I somehow managed to land the fish.  Now onto the details. 

Reel was matched with a medium/heavy rated 8’ rod, capable of handling up to 3oz lures easily...plenty of backbone and fish fighting power. Drag was set on the higher range but not maxed out. Spool filled with 25lb braid. After landing this 38” bass I continued casting, but once I changed lures, to something that created more resistance/line tension upon retrieval the issue showed itself. 
Upon inspection I have found that the main gear is rubbing against the crosswind block when reeling any lure that creates even light resistance (bomber). I’m assuming the main shaft has warped from the pressure of landing that fish. But I’m not 100% sure as I haven’t fully disassembled the reel. 

I have landed many fish with this same setup up to 32” or so. This reel has never been dropped or abused. I typically fish with vintage reels and know how to care for my equipment properly. i still really like the little reel but am definitely surprised and a little disappointed with this outcome...it wasn’t a cow bass, or a small shark, I’m pretty sure this reel should have been able to handle it. 

-Dominic, Penn Fanboy 

Edited by Domjolly

51 mins ago, Domjolly said:

Hi Penn and anyone else reading. 
Last night while fishing a very calm backwater bay. I unexpectedly hooked a 38” striper. 
After landing this 40” bass .........

Did you use so much drag that you stretched the fish two inches during the fight? ;)

1 hour ago, davef said:

Did you use so much drag that you stretched the fish two inches during the fight? ;)

Lol whoops. It was somewhere between the two I didn’t have a tape w me so I’m going by where it came up to on my rod

Edited by Domjolly

Domjolly,

If you feel something is wrong with your reel send it in and we can take a look.  Include a description of what is wrong, your return address and a copy of the receipt if it's still under warranty.

Jim

3 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

Domjolly,

If you feel something is wrong with your reel send it in and we can take a look.  Include a description of what is wrong, your return address and a copy of the receipt if it's still under warranty.

Jim

I appreciate the offer, but I’m more so looking for info. Have you heard of this happening befor? Am I correct to assume a warped main shaft? Should I replace both the shaft and gear? Any other areas I should be inspecting?

I’m happy to repair the reel myself as I doubt it’s under warranty and I definetly don’t have receipts.

Domjolly,

Hard to diagnose without feeling the reel.  I recommend sending it in and having us take a look.  If you PM me your email address I can send you a copy of the repair form.  

Jim

On 10/9/2020 at 2:41 PM, PENN Fishing said:

Domjolly,

Hard to diagnose without feeling the reel.  I recommend sending it in and having us take a look.  If you PM me your email address I can send you a copy of the repair form.  

Jim

So I’m a dummy and I figured out the issue, which was pretty much unrelated. The line roller was all gunked up and salt crusted, the pressure from that fish pulling lots of drag must have slightly moved some of the roller parts, or just brought to light an already occurring Overdue maintenance. Cleaned out all line roller components and lined her up, and issue disappeared. On a positive note the reel totally handled the fish...After a thorough cleaning and regrease all internals still look brand new and are functioning perfectly. 

On 10/11/2020 at 9:20 PM, Domjolly said:

So I’m a dummy and I figured out the issue, which was pretty much unrelated. The line roller was all gunked up and salt crusted, the pressure from that fish pulling lots of drag must have slightly moved some of the roller parts, or just brought to light an already occurring Overdue maintenance. Cleaned out all line roller components and lined her up, and issue disappeared. On a positive note the reel totally handled the fish...After a thorough cleaning and regrease all internals still look brand new and are functioning perfectly. 

Good to hear it wasn't a reel issue based on design or materials as I'm thinking about putting a ssvi 4500 ls on my 9'6" slingshot.  ALSO GLAD I READ THE ENTIRE POST. Instead of just looking at the title and intial post & response.  May I suggest updating the initial post so others know it not a reel problem.

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, SJRhino said:

Good to hear it wasn't a reel issue based on design or materials as I'm thinking about putting a ssvi 4500 ls on my 9'6" slingshot.  ALSO GLAD I READ THE ENTIRE POST. Instead of just looking at the title and intial post & response.  May I suggest updating the initial post so others know it not a reel problem.

Good idea! 
unfortunately it’s too old to edit.

the reel is a great little reel and I def recommend it. 

Edited by Domjolly