flyangler

"Are you better off today than you were 4 years ago?" 56% vs 32%

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Don Suber is a bright observer of the American condition. Like many, he does not trust media driven hard-to-head polling and looks for other anecdotal gauges of the views of Americans. In this case, he found a Gallup survey which asks that age old question which has shown high correlation to presidential election preferences. 

Like the views of Hispanic and black voters, surveys that show Gen Z unenthused, this is another piece of data which suggests the current DEMedia narrative based on their polls, as well as the views of some here in the PG, might be overly optimistic. 

56% say we are better off than 4 years ago

By Don Suber

In 1980, Ronald Reagan defeated Jimmy Carter by asking in their presidential debate, "Are you better off today than you were four years ago?" 

I suggest President Donald John Trump ask the same question of the American people in the next debate because the answer will be a resounding yes.

I know this because Gallup asked this question of the American people. 56% said yes, only 32% said worse.

That's 12 points better than Reagan did in 1984 -- and he took 49 states. However, Gallup asked the question in July. By November, the economy was in full swing.

In 2012, only 46% said they were better off -- and we foolishly re-elected Obama.

In 2004, only 47% said yes -- and we wisely re-elected President George Walker Bush. He may not have been Rushmore-worthy, but the alternative was a ne'er-do-well gigolo who twice married into money, and later sold us out to Iran as secretary of state.

In 1992, 38% said yes -- and Bill Clinton ousted President George H.W,. Bush.

The answer to this question this time is particularly relevant because Biden is Obama's surrogate. The choice is between Obamanism and capitalism.

And an overwhelming majority know they are better off under capitalism.

Gallup is not bothering with political preference polls as it has learned that polling voters no longer works for one reason or other. I suspect people no longer trust pollsters with a private decision like this.

Being wrong on presidential races hurts Gallup's credibility on other polls for business, which are its main source of revenue. 

But Gallup is asking questions that are less intrusive, and tantalizing. Ask who is more presidential, and President Trump is down by 5 points.

Ask who you agree with on the issues that matter most, and President Trump is up by 3.

The better off question, though, is through the roof: 56%.

My 37 state prediction does not mean a landslide. Far from that. But my forecast shows Democrats will be unable to cheat their way back into the White House.

hobqwcnhcuohd8gvv29fjq.png

hcmogrc9peamjawqpu1gvg.png

Edited by flyangler

Except for the Airlines (which Trump is trying to help. but a always Pelosi steps in the way of the right thing in the name of politics), and the hospitality/restaurant industry, most are better off than they were four years ago.  The Real Estate market keeps cruising along and broke people don't buy houses.  Most of those that I know that are worse off are 100% Covid related, and only the most ridiculously afflicted TDS partisan came blame that disease on Trump.

3 mins ago, MikeM58 said:

Except for the Airlines (which Trump is trying to help. but a always Pelosi steps in the way of the right thing in the name of politics), and the hospitality/restaurant industry, most are better off than they were four years ago.  The Real Estate market keeps cruising along and broke people don't buy houses.  Most of those that I know that are worse off are 100% Covid related, and only the most ridiculously afflicted TDS partisan came blame that disease on Trump.

Im better off even WITH a third of my income wiped out and maybe not coming back in my lifetime.  

1 min ago, KnewBee said:

"Are you better off today than you were 4 years ago?"

210,000 would disagree

80% would probably be disagreeing covid or not

But you are right, because we'll probably see those 210,000 vote thanks to your corrupt party

1 min ago, Little said:

Im better off even WITH a third of my income wiped out and maybe not coming back in my lifetime.  

Because you have the self awareness to understand that being "better off" can't be fully measured in dollars and cents.

25 mins ago, flyangler said:

Don Suber is a bright observer of the American condition. Like many, he does not trust media driven hard-to-head polling and looks for other anecdotal gauges of the views of Americans. In this case, he found a Gallup survey which asks that age old question which has shown high correlation to presidential election preferences. 

Like the views of Hispanic and black voters, surveys that show Gen Z unenthused, this is another piece of data which suggests the current DEMedia narrative based on their polls, as well as the views of some here in the PG, might be overly optimistic. 

"Might be?"

Come on Tommie. 

Are they or aren't they overly optimistic in favor of the Dems?   Yes or No?

Quit hedging.

7 mins ago, MikeM58 said:

Because you have the self awareness to understand that being "better off" can't be fully measured in dollars and cents.

True, but I meant dollars and cents mostly.

I carry a pistol now when I want to without cowering and begging my local police chief.  Thats a better off.

I know I’m pretty happy.  Has a lot to do with what you pursue as a profession as well.  I’m a water utility guy......and guess what gets used a lot when people are stuck at home.

6 mins ago, Little said:

True, but I meant dollars and cents mostly.

I carry a pistol now when I want to without cowering and begging my local police chief.  Thats a better off.

Yes it is!  

19 mins ago, KnewBee said:

"Are you better off today than you were 4 years ago?"

210,000 would disagree

And 1,790,000 who aren't dead might agree. 

10 mins ago, moonbat said:

"Might be?"

Come on Tommie. 

Are they or aren't they overly optimistic in favor of the Dems?   Yes or No?

Quit hedging.

Yes you guttersnipe, you are WAAAAAY overly optimistic, as well as a gadfly. 

Why “The Gadfly”? | One Man's View - The Gadfly