RiverCommando215

Ultra minnow vs bullet vs smiling bill bucktail

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Hey all!  I’m looking to decide on a specific bucktail for inlets.  I’m leaning to bullet head but a forward balanced ultra head is producing as well.  Most of my fishing is done in inlets, rivers, and heavy current.  1.5-4 oz are a nightly norm.  Just asking around because I can’t decide.  So if ya have to fish a lot BT then why should I go one or the other? Looking to start molding as I can’t afford to buy and lose so many jigs.

i realize hair density changes with head profile. Thanks in advance.  
RC

Bullet or smiling bill are my go to BT's, what do you dress them with as a trailer? Pork rind is good but you fish fast water so try a thick red or white grubtail trailer, the fast swirl & thump noise it makes will make those cows bite down hard on your BT. no doubt you will become  a believer......  

Lately they have been naked or otter tails cut in half.  I got some old uncle josh meat that I cut down too.  But sure i have done the grub And jerk bait plastic.  Trying to keep the bt low and With a fast drop to avoid the blues.  I think Bills create more drag and bullets cast great for me but the ultra forward balance tinman Bt cuts damn well too. They all get it done but if I have to pour em I don’t wanna buy three diff molds.  Thanks for the help.
Sitting in backyard now listening to coyotes yip after their kill and the big owl out back Hooting it up. Woods life man.  Gotta love it.

RC

when I do some pours and ties I will let ya know.  

I don't like most smiling bill because the hook eye is bit too small to get it on off the clip easily. If I could make only one, I would make bullet heads with big brass eyelet over any others.  

10-4 bob.  I’m Looking into the cost and safety concerns as pouring isn’t real healthy.  Dan Tinman has good product at a fair price, but 6 bucks a bt is just too much for me to continue losing.  
I have lead and a hotpot with options to get bucktails from my local hunters.  Just trying to focus heavily on bucktails.  Tired of carrying all these plugs when a bucktail gets it done in all conditions.  Thanks for the info Bob. 

RC

I've always had a strong preference for SBs, I've fishing them side by side with bullet style and they've always outfished them.

This is from a boat though, but even in the surf SB all the way for me.

I am straight surf and river rock hopping.  The key here is distance casting and working heavy Current   with the least amount of weight.  Thanks For your insight. 
RC

Edited by RiverCommando215

17 hours ago, RiverCommando215 said:

Sitting in backyard now listening to coyotes yip after their kill and the big owl out back Hooting it up. Woods life man.  Gotta love it.

Sounds like a dream. Pouring tying sounds fun. Lot of upfront costs. The thing that Id be worried about is the toxic fumes and how to mitigate that.

Do it outside, and wear a respirator.  Bottom line is I think if I have the lead and hot pot all I need is hooks, and a mold.  The hair and tying is easy to get.  Got a tying vise already.  We shall see.  At some point I will ask dan Tinman for his thoughts.  He’s a pro and will probably say it’s not cost effective unless you do ingots and 250 a year.

Thanks for the input.  

RC

If you decide to make your own bucktails look at the prices that Barlow's Tackle has for Do It molds, their prices are lower then buying direct from Do It molds. They also sell any type of hooks you would need. 

Will do.  Looking to replicate an andrus or S&S rockhopper.  No smilin bill for me and I still dig the forward balanced ultra minnow from Dan tinman.  I found his bucktail and empty package one night.  Lost it, but had fish all night on it til the inevitable happened 
RC

On 10/9/2020 at 11:58 AM, RiverCommando215 said:

10-4 bob.  I’m Looking into the cost and safety concerns as pouring isn’t real healthy.  Dan Tinman has good product at a fair price, but 6 bucks a bt is just too much for me to continue losing.  
I have lead and a hotpot with options to get bucktails from my local hunters.  Just trying to focus heavily on bucktails.  Tired of carrying all these plugs when a bucktail gets it done in all conditions.  Thanks for the info Bob. 

RC

Why are you set on bucktails. Jigheads and plastics generally out produce in my opinion. 

also 4oz is a pretty big bucktail for our area. 

I am set on BT because they are producing.  4 oz are used in the river down my way.  On some nights 3-4 oz are needed to fish a special trough.  Only need that heavy weight to beat the other guys.  You have about 3 seconds of a drift and then burn it in.  This spot isn’t really in “your” area.  More specific to Philly. Most of the time 1.65-2.75 oz will do the job.  

hey @Goldy I met a 17 year old and forget his name.  North Nj and he said he knows ya personally.  TFO rod and silver VS and white gear up bag.  Curly hair and tan skin color. Nice young guy.  Can’t believe I forgot his name.  Anyway he said your a good dude.  I was like dang you know goldy?  He is pretty serious.  
RC

11 mins ago, RiverCommando215 said:

I am set on BT because they are producing.  4 oz are used in the river down my way.  On some nights 3-4 oz are needed to fish a special trough.  Only need that heavy weight to beat the other guys.  You have about 3 seconds of a drift and then burn it in.  This spot isn’t really in “your” area.  More specific to Philly. Most of the time 1.65-2.75 oz will do the job.  

hey @Goldy I met a 17 year old and forget his name.  North Nj and he said he knows ya personally.  TFO rod and silver VS and white gear up bag.  Curly hair and tan skin color. Nice young guy.  Can’t believe I forgot his name.  Anyway he said your a good dude.  I was like dang you know goldy?  He is pretty serious.  
RC

Doesnt ring a bell. I have a lot of enemies