SaltyScotian

Conventional reel

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Use the search bar. Tons of info already posted on this subject. General consensus would be something around a size 12 or 15 non levelwind with some sort of casting control like centrifugal brakes or magnets. A Penn Fathom 12 or 15 for example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my favorite drum reels for chunking is the Daiwa Seagate.  The 30 size is perfect for most chunking applications and it won’t break the bank.  It has centrifugal brakes and it’s easy to add magnets if needed.  A good caster won’t need the mags however, it’s very easy to cast and it’s a little beast with a good retrieve rate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ecks said:

Use the search bar. Tons of info already posted on this subject. General consensus would be something around a size 12 or 15 non levelwind with some sort of casting control like centrifugal brakes or magnets. A Penn Fathom 12 or 15 for example. 

I was looking earlier and was finding a lot of older posts and with the newer reels out was wondering if things changed at all. Fathom is what I was looking at and will probably end up going with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

One of my favorite drum reels for chunking is the Daiwa Seagate.  The 30 size is perfect for most chunking applications and it won’t break the bank.  It has centrifugal brakes and it’s easy to add magnets if needed.  A good caster won’t need the mags however, it’s very easy to cast and it’s a little beast with a good retrieve rate

I’ll have to give that a look for sure. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SaltyScotian said:

I was looking earlier and was finding a lot of older posts and with the newer reels out was wondering if things changed at all. Fathom is what I was looking at and will probably end up going with.

I get better results for here by using regular google and typing “conventional 

reels Surftalk” for example.  If you’re mostly gonna soak bait I wouldn’t spend too much. A good old Daiwa Slosh 20 or 30 would be perfect. Probably 110 bucks or so. 

W

15 or 20 lb mono with an appropriate shock leader. Remember to spool shock leader knot to the side of the spool so it doesn’t cut your thumb on the cast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give Akios a serious look. I've thrown Penn 525 Mags, Abu's, and Daiwa's, and for the money and tunability I don't think any of them compete with the Akios. The 656 CTM will run you about $180- $200

Edited by roughneck3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been totally impressed with the old Fathom line. Haven't seen the new ones yet, but I imagine they are at least as nice.  12 for braid, 15 for mono.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think at one time or another, I fished with almost every conventional surf reel out there in my day. You know what the best of all of them was? The Penn 525 Mag. It was perfect---great ergonomics (light weight/low rod profile/comfy handle), easy to control, adequate capacity (especially with braid) and a fast retrieve. Penn has an equivalent model now, made in China of course, quality unknown to me, but it's worth a look. But, if you ever get a shot at a used Made in USA 525 Mag, don't pass it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.