dannyplug1

Best throwing Danny plug

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, bassmaster said:

My dannys cast great

Nice building your own lures 

20200903_170624.jpg

That's quite a cool obsession you've got going on there.

You seem to be having a lot of fun and are making some very nicely painted and finished beauties.

Care to share your weighting locations, pattern ect.,

tips and tricks for great casting danny?

What are your thoughts on a weight  shifting Danny ?

Fumblers. Don't we all wish they would throw like a Gibbs Bottle (Swimmer)? Never happened. Although, with the right stick and Indian, an Atom 40 can be tossed a long way.  Every cast feels like the rod will blow up.

56 mins ago, Seakarp said:

That's quite a cool obsession you've got going on there.

You seem to be having a lot of fun and are making some very nicely painted and finished beauties.

Care to share your weighting locations, pattern ect.,

tips and tricks for great casting danny?

What are your thoughts on a weight  shifting Danny ?

they all tumble, trick is to feather line at end of cast.

back in the day when Steve S (Flaptail was alive)  Me him and Dave L went up the islands, Stev always talked about dannys snaking on top. well slapping dannys on shore and draggin them off I watched and said those swim like ****, you guys have them so detuned to stay on top they swim like ****.

So in the cave I went and made dannys and test them on the fish.  There should be a bunch of older sol guys on here who had them, Anyway I make 2 types with 2 twpes of wood and lip

I had great luck on a white wonderbread I made and a black danny this year.

one style is weighted and the other is not.   I find the best lures are solid colors and   white wonderbrerad   blue pink white,  black gold silver, ( many years tossing gibbs along the islands) great combo.   mack always nice   blue white ect.

If your going to buy from some one ask them how they came about to make that plug, It will seprate the copy cats from guys who are hungry to catch fish and make there own ****.

there are 2 plugs I use  needle fish and dannys, one of the dannys I make is a hybrid I came up with.

when you fish a danny , you can tune it to swim or stay on top, I love mine on top, I use them in the canal ,  when I fish there with great results.

also on your retrieve,  while swimming on top you can give a small snap and it gives the lure a micro pop and pause.

work it steady in. then do the snap then swap it up with a super short pause,  If there there they might want it that way. atleast last weekend they did for me.

BeachMaster makes great plugs, Dont fall for the bling buy **** that works guys.  There is alot of stuff out there that is great and not to good. But with Bobs stuff Its quality wood.

His Needles are Killer. Im not knocking gibbs niether.

I also Like to Hue my plugs, I made this olive danny with a purple hue that was killer, Im sure someone here has one still :)

Anyway point is buy what  gives you  Confidence

I found that removing the tail hook and using only one belly treble helped the casting distance. 

And a more "lob" cast too.

If you want a plug that handles distance but has that swimming motion, the bottleplugs are a good alternative. 

They throw well and with a slow retrieve get that wobble sort of like a metal lip.  But no where as seductive as real, quality metal lip plugs. 

Easiest way to get better distance out of any plug, metal lip swimmers included are to employ a rear treble.  Adding a rear treble (and ommitting the rear belly hook if present) I find improve the aerodynamic properties of the plug, with a slight wind at your back or on still nights, their more likely to cast tail first.  Most cast like total crap but if you need distance then your probably throwing something else entirely. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/9/2020 at 7:31 AM, Jason B said:

Second that. Things fly pretty well

+100 on CCW

Edited by TimS
we don’t promote social media channels here

On 10/9/2020 at 6:23 PM, SC said:

I think it's funny that no one said Danny

And I think this comment is really funny.

i guess i really never cared how a swimming plug casted, i only care if the plug will catch fish.when i use it. As someone who only throws wood that i make myself, i use differant types wood and weighting to achive what i am looking for.And yes it is funny how the man whose name is given to this type of plug is not mentioned