CrappieAttitude

OBX Trip

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I have always had luck for puppys with Fishbites but only in the bloodworm flavor... not sure why, maybe its me but thats my confidence bait in the OBX. Grant it will catch everything in the ocean but maybe pulling off the floats and beads will help stay off the pompano. I will also run two rods, one as far as i can chuck it and one lobbed in at the first trough. Best of  Luck and Tight Lines! 

Slept in this morning so didn’t get out until 8am.  Light surf and wind.  Caught 5 small black drum.  Used finger mullet, bloodworms, shrimp and fish bites.  Looks like rain for the rest of the day.

Surf definitely up this morning compared to last few days.  Caught a nice 24 inch puppy drum around 9:45am.  Think it was on a live bloodworm but with 3 rods out I kinda lost track.  Dinner tonite!

BD88AAF2-B7E1-427F-BE33-9ED8BF87C840.jpeg

C938F3D0-48BC-428B-B660-72D98D66DAD9.jpeg

AEFDBDCF-CC4F-43DF-8398-434CA4621E11.jpeg

On 10/10/2020 at 9:32 PM, Retainer said:

I don’t think I’ve ever thrown a heavier weight than 4 Oz. Maybe a Sputnik rarely, but if it is that rough, I’ll find something else to do.

Big mistake. Big drum LOVE the rough stuff and strong currents.:hooked:

On 10/10/2020 at 9:32 PM, Retainer said:

I don’t think I’ve ever thrown a heavier weight than 4 Oz. Maybe a Sputnik rarely, but if it is that rough, I’ll find something else to do.

agreed bstriping. there have been times in life living on the obx id choose my heaver if I could only have one rod.....with a touch of age today it would be a trout rod. 

7 hours ago, CrappieAttitude said:

Surf definitely up this morning compared to last few days.  Caught a nice 24 inch puppy drum around 9:45am.  Think it was on a live bloodworm but with 3 rods out I kinda lost track.  Dinner tonite!

BD88AAF2-B7E1-427F-BE33-9ED8BF87C840.jpeg

C938F3D0-48BC-428B-B660-72D98D66DAD9.jpeg

AEFDBDCF-CC4F-43DF-8398-434CA4621E11.jpeg

Nice catch CA! 

I just got back home. I miss catching those fish with the tail spots.

Keep posting your catch. Good luck!

15 hours ago, bstriping said:

Big mistake. Big drum LOVE the rough stuff and strong currents.:hooked:

Oh I know, I’ve thrown the Sputnik out there from time to time.

but really rough water usually involves dirty water, grass weeds. Like yesterday, a lot of grass and nasty stuff tying around the line. Then there was the plastic bagfish I caught.

but no drum yesterday.

I love this thread, especially the photos. Thanks for posting.

I'm headed to Hatteras/Ocracoke next week. Taking six setups, so I finally feel I'll be ready for whatever. (My wife is tired of the boxes that keep showing up - but tough, because FedEx is bringing me a Toadfish rod later today). In the past I felt like I couldn't cover all situations.

A buddy of mine is driving down from Pittsburgh, so he'll get to experience the Outer Banks in all its 4x4 glory. I love seeing the look on people's faces when I hand them the keys to my truck for the first time. 

If any of y'all will be down there next week, be sure to say hello. I'll be easy to spot - the only guy in a Biden T-shirt amongst the sea of Trump flags. 

Nice puppy.  I'm heading to Oak Island this weekend.  Couldn't quite make the extra few hours out to the OBX.  Hoping to get into some of the same type of fish though.