CrappieAttitude

OBX Trip

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, CrappieAttitude said:

Headed to Duck, NC tomorrow for a week of fall fishing.  Hoping for some puppy drum, speckled trout and sea mullet.  I will try and provide updates and pics

I have been in Duck all this week until Sunday. The weather and conditions are spectacular. 

The puppy drum are here. I caught a few at first light fishing the first trough chunking finger mullet and shrimp.

During the day, seems to be a lot of whiting hitting bloodworms with a mix of small pompano. Plenty of fish to be had. I have only fished the surf. No sound fishing.

12 hours ago, Tagman said:

I have been in Duck all this week until Sunday. The weather and conditions are spectacular. 

The puppy drum are here. I caught a few at first light fishing the first trough chunking finger mullet and shrimp.

During the day, seems to be a lot of whiting hitting bloodworms with a mix of small pompano. Plenty of fish to be had. I have only fished the surf. No sound fishing.

I am in South Nags Head as I type this, until Sunday. I have been catching small Whiting and Pomps. Nothing with spotted tails. The OP should plan on it raining the first day or two, then clearing up. It has been beautiful here this week.

Nice! What are you using for bait/rod size? I'll be at OI campground Thursday. I'm not sure I even want to fool with the big 8nbait this year

I have tried finger mullet, shrimp, sand fleas, fish bites (ez fleas and clam) and fish gum (similar to fish bites). Caught them on the shrimp and artificial stuff.  Will try cut bait and bloodworms in the am.  Also threw some lures for a bit.  I have an 11’ travel rod, a 9’ travel rod and a 9’6” century.  Surf is relatively calm - light wind

7 hours ago, triumph said:

Nice! What are you using for bait/rod size? I'll be at OI campground Thursday. I'm not sure I even want to fool with the big 8nbait this year

I don’t think I’ve ever thrown a heavier weight than 4 Oz. Maybe a Sputnik rarely, but if it is that rough, I’ll find something else to do.