beret

Plastic rails,post.spindles on decks

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I have the white post,spindles,rails on my deck and they are great..........but every few weeks the green mold stuff starts to appear. Other than power washing the fence, which takes time because the deck is 10 ft up and you have to power wash the outside as well as the inside and many spindles.........the deck is 15 x 16 with 12 stairs going down. Wondering how others handle this situation. I was thinking once cleaned , maybe just walk around once a week or so with a damp rag with bleach or clorox and just wipe it down quickly. Any thoughts or ideas..........thanks.

Edited by beret

1 hour ago, PaddyCrabby said:

25% Bleach to water applied with sprayer.  Spray on wait 10 min rinse off.  Spray your plants that are near with water too.

How often Paddy.......does it last or just as needed every week or so....thanks.

9 mins ago, beret said:

How often Paddy.......does it last or just as needed every week or so....thanks.

It should last for a couple months before needing to do again.  

Sounds like you have northern exposure, if it’s every few weeks I would try some protectant after cleaning. Depending on the type of plastic maybe some car wax, or an armor all product.

I would use a basic product like a bathroom cleaner with bleach, you know, a spray bottle  and spray the rail and spindles. And just let it sit and dry. 
that Spray & Forget or similar product would work too. 
When the mold comes back, you may have to spray the cleaner and wipe with a rag then rinse. Then just spray it while clean and  leave it on there to dry.

7 hours ago, Brother Brian said:

My BIL raves about this stuff .

Spray and Forget 1 Gallon Concentrate - Hard To Find Items

It's great with bitter lemon and a cocktail onion. Better than a Gibson. :th:

4 hours ago, Belmo said:

It's great with bitter lemon and a cocktail onion. Better than a Gibson. :th:

How many you up to a day now???  Can you get through a day without some Spray & Forget??