Sudsy

8 weight rod - Why should I keep it ?

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

I have these:

7w – TFO TiCr

8w – St Croix Avid

9w – Loomis Orion

I use the Loomis and the TFO and have never once even put a reel on the Avid. It's a great rod but I never seem to reach for a #8 (obviously)

Am I doing myself wrong? Should I be fishing it?

Or am I pretty much good with the #7 and #9 and should let it go to someone that will use it ?

If you never put a reel on it...how do you know its great?

A dickish remark to make a point, some people with your quiver would use only the 8 to the exclusion of the others...

8wt is my go to size for the salt in the NE, I have eight or nine of them. That being said, if you don't use it and have the 7 and 9... you should give it to me.

I have a 10 and an 8. The 10 gets used a vast majority of the time, but I use the 8 for small spring bass and bonito. My 10wt reel is currently out for service so I’ve been using my 8 for albies lately. Good times. 

2 hours ago, Drew C. said:

I would look at keeping it for  another rigging option - you need. Floater, then grab A, intermediate, then grab B, fast Sink grab the other one. 

That's why God created spare spools

I think part of the reason may be that the TiCr 7wt is such a powerful and versatile 7wt rod.  I use mine more and more and have no problem with uplining it to an 8wt line.  The same is true of the TiCrx 7wt, another great all-rounder.

My experience with selling things for small $$ is that there always comes a time when I need it and then it costs.  I have no clue as to Fly Rod values. If your talking a couple-three hundred sell it immediately, otherwise it s not eating anything, hold on to it.

I used to tell my wife the boys can have my fishing stuff when I'm done, they would rather have a turd. Wife has this issue with me with tools, why do I need 87 screwdrivers, I don't but I have them, should I throw them out?

Tough to thin things out, I wish you luck, you have years of stuff too. 

21 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

I used to tell my wife the boys can have my fishing stuff when I'm done, they would rather have a turd.

LOL, same here

I'm guessing it's worth about $100. Anything less and I'll keep it.

Edited by Sudsy

I have a 7, two 8s, a 9 and a 10. One of the 8s I keep stashed at my cousin's in SC, the other is my go to for flats and marshes. The 9 is if the wind is up and the 10 is for self abuse. I gave another 8 away in May and gave a 9 away last week. Consolidating from 2 homes to 1 in July and realizing my wife is right, I am kind of a hoarder. If you don't use the 8 let it go, lighten your load.