joetackle

Decoy plug for the walk back to the truck?

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

Do you hang a decoy plug (not in your regular rotation) for the walk back to the truck to throw other anglers off? I read about a guy that does this. Spot burn is one thing, but plug burn? 

I have done all manner of things. My favorite decoys were a 2 oz bucktail and a Carolina rig with a very small hook. Now I remove lures and put them away before I start moving off the water because fishing lures catch things and they keep on doing it after you stop wanting them to.

I have also caught people by working a Bomber with a bucktail action. Poor guys below me lost half a dozen bucktails trying to do what I was until I walked by them on my way out. I hope they got a few. 

12 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Never heard of such a thing, sounds ridiculous. But now I'm going to clip a top water frog on for my walks back to the car.

Always a good frog bite at slack

Had a friend who managed the local Tackle Shop. When asked buy customers "what spot is hot" he'ed tell each guy a different spot untill one came back to weigh in his 52lb'er and say Thanks.

LOLOL...I thought I was the only idiot that did this.

Rarely do it in the salt..often night fish...and seldom see people...and those I see know the area well.....but damn straight I do in FW..

I'll even palm the bait when walking past people..

Haven't used a decoy plug since I got the cloaking device put on the truck & the stealth plug bag.  

ff-worlds-biggest-rv-f1.jpg.a99f66a6fc873f3e17520216334b9b2a.jpg

However, I have been guilty of pranking wide eyed Canal tourists with the Svartzonker Lures Giant McRubber. Cabela's of East Hartford had a whole gondo-run of these fabulous lures - which the Cabela's distribution center literally flushed over to East Hartford! we tried to tell them there actually was an ocean nearby but no one had come out from Nebraska to confirm it so this was the best they could do for us. Trust me we tried to request some Sluggos - fell on deaf ears I'm afraid.

virginia-musky.jpg.b75ea014ef5c1ea53f2602d05f51efdb.jpg

Talk about a tremendous use of dollars per square foot! The Cabela's business model, obviously invented in Nebraska & plan-o-grammed by 18-year-old high school graduates in Sydney, was obviously short lived. 

That's why I got the truck. once we discovered there was actually an ocean on the east coast, I wanted to make sure I had appropriate real-time tidal information & up to the moment radar, strobe lights, probes, grilling equipment, fillet stations, radar jamming technology, in a good many other things that I'm sure most here would not fully understand given that it's only 2020 & most of you still think aliens don't even exist.

Personally I don't subscribe to any of that. I have actually attracted extraterrestrials with the bourbon launcher & the smoker cannon. 

At first they're a little skitterish but when you have the light levels properly adjusted (their eyes are sensitive to daylight) but when you get to know them, they start sharing all of their secrets, unfortunately there's a limit to what the human mind can comprehend. 

However, with my state of the art truck, I'm able to download most of this knowledge & keep my cranium free with minimal space taken up so I can focus on fishing, drinking, bbq'ing & the nuances of strippers & silver go-to girls on roller skates with hors d'oeuvre trays. 

Getting back to the decoy plug if you do happen to catch a keeper it's a good idea to stick it in their lip also and let it tangle as you lug the fish past all the onlookers.

Edited by CaryGreene

2 hours ago, joetackle said:

Do you hang a decoy plug (not in your regular rotation) for the walk back to the truck to throw other anglers off? I read about a guy that does this. Spot burn is one thing, but plug burn? 

I have done this before but,usually I put the killer back in the bag before I leave the area even though it is one of my own and there is not another one just like it.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

Went to a striper seminar at a show many moons ago and the speaker called it a "show and tell  plug " and said he only kept it  in the bag for the walk back to truck.

Edited by ironfish