For those that said striper doesn't tail slap, here is a head butt

Rate this topic

foxfai

34 mins ago, Killroy said:

When I have seen the tail slap (where shad actually go flying out of the water from the predator fish throwing them) is when they hit a ball of shad.  The shad ball up because it makes picking out a specific bait much more difficult for a fish.  A wild thrashing smack after a strike by a percentage of fish seems a very plausible adaptation to me.  And yes, I agree, this is not a question that can be answered definitively.  That's why I didn't think correcting people on a debate that can only be supported by their offered anecdotal evidence and conjecture was the way to go.  

I have had big gators send my large swimmer flying to one side after they bashed at it.

I would say it came from impact from their momentum.

I have also seen bass do the same thing and I mean seen them attack from below and cut a corner and shoot away.

in the act of doing so,their tail comes by the plug and then spin around and come after it again,sometimes not.

one thing for sure is,i cannot bring myself to say they do.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

7 hours ago, Objection said:

Tail slap? I'll believe it when I see it on video. 

There are plenty of videos that show lures being hit by a stripers tail. So whether or not stripers hit lures with their tails is not something that can be debated. What can be debated is whether or not it is intentional. I have not seen any video evidence that proves without a doubt that it is or isn’t. The only evidence that would put this argument to rest is underwater video of a striper striking a prey fish with its tail and then eating it. Until someone produces this kind of evidence there is no sense in debating this because we are never going to change each other’s beliefs.

5 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

There are plenty of videos that show lures being hit by a stripers tail. So whether or not stripers hit lures with their tails is not something that can be debated. What can be debated is whether or not it is intentional. I have not seen any video evidence that proves without a doubt that it is or isn’t. The only evidence that would put this argument to rest is underwater video of a striper striking a prey fish with its tail and then eating it. Until someone produces this kind of evidence there is no sense in debating this because we are never going to change each other’s beliefs.

If there are plenty of videos, why don’t you post one to end the debate?

It does not seem people are arguing that stripers tail slap or otherwise strike prey as that is proven in video and with countless foul hooked fish.

The actual debate is are they doing it with intent (to injury or stun) or is it incidental contact from turning away or missing at the last moment for whatever other reason.

So who here is a Ichthyologist with specificity in centrarchidae feeding behavior?

Can anyone truthfully state they "know" or can provide valid theory with large amounts evidence and explanations in support? Otherwise, it's all hypothesis. Theory requires a certain level of support beyond "because I think so based on what I felt on a rod or saw /heard on water surface etc."

There is certainly support for the behavior in other predatory fish.

There is a good amount of support for predatory fish treating prey differently by type and size. Example certain prey fish they will make effort to engulf the prey head first even when initially caught tail first.. Has to do with fin spines.. Seems certain prey fish flare their fins when bite or attacked beyond it being a threat display.. Theory to make it hard to be swallowed.. I have seen a video of a fish hooked by the spine on the bait fish taken head first.

Meaning they could straight out engulf certain prey depending on size ratio, how they are presented, etc

If true about larger ratio prey fish with Stripers it could offer support for injury or stunning prior to engulfing, to allow easier head first, on larger or faster prey.

I have no idea and do not have a dog in this debate.. 

Of course there is the question of do people want to find the truth regardless or prove they are right.