foxfai

For those that said striper doesn't tail slap, here is a head butt

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

you guys dont know what your talking about , they most surely slap , in all my years I have had  them slap more times than I care to remember, on night this big old girl slapped me so hard damn near knocked me off the bar stool, oh wait a minute my bad thought the post said strippers, dont know bout the the bass, but them dirty girls do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They absolutely tail slap to stun their prey.  How is this even a question? If I feel a slap, I stop retrieving immediately (as if the slap stunned the lure), and hookup follows. 

Edited by ThirstyOwl III

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That fish didn't head butt anything, he changed his mind...they don't ever miss a prey item on purpose, they don't waste energy trying to head butt or tail slap prey items - their mouths are vacuums - when they want to eat something they get as close as they can and open their mouths. Anything other than that is a miss or they changed their minds :howdy:

 

TimS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on a more serious note they do slap, I recall one morning out back throwing a medium pencil at the end of a bulkhead, fish drove me crazy , for 30 mins this fish would just come up and tail wack the plug, im talking 10 12 times same exact spot , noticed many spring nights tossing sluggos you would hear them tail slapping on almost every cast, dont know if its a spawning thing or what, but they do tail slap 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 mins ago, bugsbenny said:

on a more serious note they do slap, I recall one morning out back throwing a medium pencil at the end of a bulkhead, fish drove me crazy , for 30 mins this fish would just come up and tail wack the plug, im talking 10 12 times same exact spot , noticed many spring nights tossing sluggos you would hear them tail slapping on almost every cast, dont know if its a spawning thing or what, but they do tail slap 

Commitment issue. Changed mind the very last second. That's why lures with trebles skin hook more fish than singles. Around their belly / head / back...   When you fish on a elevated position like a jetty / pier, you'll see stripe bass strike with such power / precision.  Nothing else in our water is quite like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 mins ago, hobobob said:

Commitment issue. Changed mind the very last second. That's why lures with trebles skin hook more fish than singles. Around their belly / head / back...   When you fish on a elevated position like a jetty / pier, you'll see stripe bass strike with such power / precision.  Nothing else in our water is quite like that. 

changed my mind at the last second?? and for you also Tim s and no disrespect meant to either of you , but did you sit down and talk to the fish, and he told you he changed his mind, did she tell you i dont want to waste my energy, or did you get your info out of some bs book based on theory and conjecture , just because you have not seen it does not mean it does not happen,fresh water fish do it all the time many guys here have experienced it , so dont disrespect them and say it dont happen and what the hell does trebles have do with tail slapping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, bugsbenny said:

changed my mind at the last second?? and for you also Tim s and no disrespect meant to either of you , but did you sit down and talk to the fish, and he told you he changed his mind, did she tell you i dont want to waste my energy, or did you get your info out of some bs book based on theory and conjecture , just because you have not seen it does not mean it does not happen,fresh water fish do it all the time many guys here have experienced it , so dont disrespect them and say it dont happen and what the hell does trebles have do with tail slapping

Stripe bass is built for power, not speed, they don't like chasing, they ambush.  Tail slap to stunt prey just to watch it flow away in current so other fish near by can have a free meal?  Does treble hook on bass's body means they also do belly flop or barrow roll on their prey?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said this before, if bass tail slapped their prey you would see a lot more fish foul hooked near the tail. I've had my share of foul hooks, and not one has ever been anywhere near the tail. And I don't know of anyone that has foul hooked a bass in its tail. Nor can I recall ever seeing a picture of one :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chitala383 said:

I've said this before, if bass tail slapped their prey you would see a lot more fish foul hooked near the tail. I've had my share of foul hooks, and not one has ever been anywhere near the tail. And I don't know of anyone that has foul hooked a bass in its tail. Nor can I recall ever seeing a picture of one :shrug:

Say what? Ive seen it and done it and it makes for a great scene. First time I ever went to the Canal, stopped a crowd of fisherman when a guy a hauled in a very average sized based that was hooked in the tail with a pencil popper, took him forever to drag that thing in. Guess no one told bass that tail slapping doesnt fit some people's narrative! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.