gnihsif

Alternatives to Korkers?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hey all! I'm curious about traction options available for fishing on the rocks.  In previous years, I had been using wading boots with studs, at first a pair from Dick's with screws, then upgraded to Simms rubber sole Freestone boots with the Hardbite studs.  The Simms were certainly an upgrade and worked great in the Trout streams, but they were still lacking in the salt and I had a few close calls last year.  This season I began using the Simms boots with strap on Korkers and, while I've gotten my confidence back surfcasting on the rocks, the Korkers are much heavier than the boot-studs I was using last year.  I'm looking to replace my boots and have heard good things about felt soles with studs.  Any thoughts on felt soles or Felt with studs in comparison to strap-on Korkers?   

6 mins ago, Ash said:

i'm waiting for these to come in.  i'm not particularly hopeful, but for the price, i thought i'd give them a whirl.

korkers.jpg

That opens another can of worms! I need ice fishing studs... I was planning on using my regular Korkers but they get heavy after a few hours and DEFINTELY won't fit in my snow shoes if I need to wear those.   Those Ice Korkers would not be enough for where I go surfcasting.  I bet they are great on the ice, though.

Korkers makes a studded sole. Triple threats I believe they are called. Of course they won’t work with your Simms boots. 

I just grabbed a pair of the studded soles. So far so good. And a lot less bulky. 

CF998D90-9635-4A78-BAC9-9458FA7F908A.jpeg

Edited by Local24 SSP

I personally prefer felt soled boots+studs over the korker cleats. Felt is good for slime, studs good for rocks/weed.

I also use fliprocks with the rivermaster soles when it's too hot for waders.

14 mins ago, C.Robin said:

I personally prefer felt soled boots+studs over the korker cleats. Felt is good for slime, studs good for rocks/weed.

I also use fliprocks with the rivermaster soles when it's too hot for waders.

Thanks for the reply! Those Fliprocks look pretty cool.  I saw to guys from Jersey out on the rocks in RI last week with what looked like felt soled sandals and didn't get a chance to ask about them.  I talked to another guy who's friend recommended felt plus studs, but hadn't gotten to test them out yet.  

44 mins ago, Local24 SSP said:

Korkers makes a studded sole. Triple threats I believe they are called. Of course they won’t work with your Simms boots. 

I just grabbed a pair of the studded soles. So far so good. And a lot less bulky. 

I've been interested in those Korker boots with the switchable soles.  How are they holding up? Knowing my luck I would be afraid that I would lose a sole...

52 mins ago, gnihsif said:

True that!  Any thoughts on a felt sole with studs added to it?  

I have a pair of felt sole plus studs wading boots. I wear them with a wetsuit and use them for the hike on the  South Side but put Korkers on over them for rock hopping   Lighter and doesn’t thrash the korker spikes walking

1 hour ago, gnihsif said:

I've been interested in those Korker boots with the switchable soles.  How are they holding up? Knowing my luck I would be afraid that I would lose a sole...

Aside from muck you really don’t have to worry about losing soles. I’ve lost a single one after 5 or 6 years of using them. 
I go thru a set of greenbacks about every 2 years. 

The triple threats are ok. But I still don’t think anything beats the strap on style. 

triple threats need more studs along the toe and heel IMO. Really have to step flat footed with your following foot. If that makes sense. 

Edited by Local24 SSP

6 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

Aside from muck you really don’t have to worry about losing soles.

In addition to slipping on rocks, one of my other skills is getting stuck in the mud...

Edited by gnihsif

Don't try felt alone there not half as good as studs, l took a good dump with felt boot soles, strap on creeper ( Korkers ) are the only way to go.