Highlander1

Things that only Summer Brings

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

As I have to be near o'de-ing on tomatoes, corn on the cob, watermelon and strawberry bon bon ice cream I find myself wanting summer to hang on as long as it can. First year in many the watermelons have some flavor, maybe the hot July weather did it.  The older you get the more rewarding simple things become, a cold beer after yard work, a cigar on the golf course or patio (without the wife around), sitting on a boardwalk bench watching the sites go by, a boat ride,  a car ride in the country where you stop at Emery's and buy a Trifecta Pie, you'll never be sorry, if you like Coconut Custard get that as a back up, money back guarantee, if you buy it and you get a majority of those feeding on it to say its meh or God forbid worse, I'll pay for it, thats how confident I am of Emery's pies. 

But, the tomato has me stymied, I eat them whole, sliced, with bacon and lettuce and mayo, a salad with on-yons, mozzarella and vinegar and oil, toss in some cucs if you have them and some croutons. I don't need roast beef, turkey or ham, really a couple slices on a toasted english or white bread with some mayo and s &p, man thats livin' . Of all the summer tastes, I think I miss the tomato the most in the winter. Right now, I'm gorging on them, daily. Just et' one typing this.

Indian summer > summer. 

I need to find a way to be able to go to a place where in the summer, it's not hot. Like an island in Maine, or even Nova Scotia or Newfoundland. Just for about 10 weeks, from whenever it gets hot in June until the nastiest part of the heat breaks, which around here is usually at the end of August. 

I don't mind heat, but I can't stand humidity. And recent summers have had way too much of it.

25 mins ago, ScottO said:

Coxsackie virus

Never been so sick in my life. Both kids had it. They say adults don't get it. Well I ****ing did. 

6 mins ago, Lucky said:

Never been so sick in my life. Both kids had it. They say adults don't get it. Well I ****ing did. 

LOL, yeah its rare to get it, one of my partners got it when her kids got it.  It's a lousy illness and lasts up to two weeks.  

As much as I love summer and all of the good memories that a good one will provide, I’ve come to the  conclusion that I really enjoy the change of seasons.

It always gives me something to look forward to when a new season is beginning.

2 hours ago, redfishkiller said:

skin cancer and sunburn!!!!

just think of yourself as a fine aged mortadella. 

F summer spring and fall is where it's at!

2 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

Staten Island Guidos. Lots of them. :mad:

Staten Island is taking over the Jersey Shore.  Eh, the young'ns used to ruin Belmar, and that's fine, but since Sandy the more mature moops are buying all over.  This year in particular.

Like cockroaches

4 hours ago, Belmo said:

Indian summer > summer. 

I need to find a way to be able to go to a place where in the summer, it's not hot. Like an island in Maine, or even Nova Scotia or Newfoundland. Just for about 10 weeks, from whenever it gets hot in June until the nastiest part of the heat breaks, which around here is usually at the end of August. 

I don't mind heat, but I can't stand humidity. And recent summers have had way too much of it.

Stop your bitching - wait till you start camping out in that thing you’re building. :point: