Highlander1

Restaurants- Ogonquit to Kennebunkport

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Headed with the wife to Ogonquit and Kennebunkport area for a few days next week and then on to Cape Cod. Need recommendations for lunch and dinner stops, preferably casual type places with pub style food is best, lobster rolls included. I do love a lobster stew, hard to find. Breakfast is always a challenge unless you are a local, I do know we won't be stopping at Tim Hortons for anything other than coffee, thats probably awful too. I know I can go to the square in Kennebunkport but always like to find spots off the beaten path that us tourists don't know about.

I'd do the same for any Mainer coming to NJ, however, I don't believe anyone from Maine comes to NJ, never said they weren't smart. 

Hobbs harbor side in Wells....old school Maine seafood.  Waitresses from

times past and killer food. I happen to be gainfully employed (head Chef)....but I promise you we do it right.

Sounds like what we are looking for, are reservations for 2 needed (Saturday or Sunday night).

Then, on the way to the Cape if I can time it right, gonna stop at 42Degrees North in Plymouth and get some of their Cioppino. Been watching John O' post about their food for years, keep promising myself the next time I'm in Plymouth, I will do as John O does, go to 42 North for a satisfying meal.

Pub food - New England House first set of lights north on Route 1 from Ogunquit.   Breakfast/lunch  - Greenery just north of Ogunquit Center.   

Hey Plugger207, I've eaten at your place (off season) but spend more time across the street at the bait shop.   I'll look you up the next time the wife and I are in.   

7 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

I'd do the same for any Mainer coming to NJ, however, I don't believe anyone from Maine comes to NJ, never said they weren't smart. 

I'm a bit farther up the cost than Kennebunport, but if you find yourself in the Midcoast DO NOT believe the BS about Maine's best lobster roll at Red's Eats.  Let me put it this way, when you ask the folks lined up there if ANY of them actually live within 30 miles of that place, NO ONE will answer.  If you do head up here, message me first and I will provide some places with better lobster rolls.

As far as NJ, I grew up in Bergen County and got the hell out of there as soon I graduated college, and that was quite a few decades ago...

10 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Sounds like what we are looking for, are reservations for 2 needed (Saturday or Sunday night).

Then, on the way to the Cape if I can time it right, gonna stop at 42Degrees North in Plymouth and get some of their Cioppino. Been watching John O' post about their food for years, keep promising myself the next time I'm in Plymouth, I will do as John O does, go to 42 North for a satisfying meal.

I do cioppino regularly.....no reservation required.  Upon arrival, might be a busy weekend but we are pretty large so lots of spaced seating.

I just spent a week in the area. Got out every morning for a few hours to fish which was great. Found a pick of small bass every day except one day where fish were popping on bait all morning. Must have caught 20 that morning. Guy next to me caught a beautiful 20" sea run trout. I'm really jealous of this fishery. Clean, crystal clear water really does a number for the soul. 

Anyways, the Greenery in Ogunquit has a fantastic breakfast (we went twice.) there's  also a great Greek restaurant called Nikanos, a bit expensive but very tasty. 

Enjoy your trip. 

37 mins ago, Plugger207 said:

I do cioppino regularly.....no reservation required.  Upon arrival, might be a busy weekend but we are pretty large so lots of spaced seating.

Took a look at the menu, looks like exactly what we are looking for. If all goes as planned, I should be there around 1 on Saturday, not sure if we will do lunch or wait until dinner.  Looking forward to it, the atmosphere and surroundings are very Mainey, which is a good thing. Thanks for the info.

23 mins ago, srm413 said:

Bintliffs is permanently closed.

You are correct.   For the record, people refer to this closing as a classic example of what Covid has done to the restaurant business.   The fact is Norm (a good guy) has wanted out for years.   He rents the building.   This was the impetus he needed and he has since happily taken a 9-5 job not directly involved in food service.   

9 mins ago, TGIF Harpswell said:

That was the last bastion of amazing hash that I knew of. What a bummer but good for him. 

pass the hormel....

The last amazing hash I had went up in smoke many moons ago.

Anyway, maybe he will sell his "hash" on the street, many small stores will carry homemade products and it s a win for all.