Little

Government schools create people unable to govern in the USA

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Here is some left wing hag from Kansas running for the democrat party.  Right up their alley

 

 

Here is my question.  Famous guy Alan Keyes, teacher and lawyer from chicago.  He was nuts, but he had that evil genius thing going on.  On the concept of gummit schools he famously said:

 

"Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?"

 

 

If you desire liberty, if you want a free nation, you can in no way deny the above.  And it is manifesting itself now, as the above video shows.

 

 

 

Government education is a bad idea.  Discuss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

And your alternative is what?

 

How would you educate the masses?

Allow for school choice. Take your tax money to the school your child is attending. 

 

Public schools need to EARN your trust not demand it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Government” education has been around longer than the nation.  At it has produced most of the leaders we’ve had.  The failures over the last few decades are real, but aren’t because of the process of funding public schools, but the current culture and integrity of educators.  It may be we need to abandon them, finally, but I will find serious problems in any alternative you pose.  You WANT the people in your community to attain a certain level of education, or you’ll be burdened with them more than you already are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, Dave S said:

Allow for school choice. Take your tax money to the school your child is attending. 

 

Public schools need to EARN your trust not demand it. 


Appealing on the one hand, further fragments society in the other.  Gives parents more control over their kids education, but condemns them to live with even more ill educated people if they remain in their community.  There is a clear benefit to starting our lives with more commonality of experience than less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Right now the paradigm is parents send their kids on the bus, forget about them until 4:00 (unless there’s a closure due to rice rabies or sports get affected. Then people go nuts). Basically it’s zombie education.

  Introducing vouchers would totally disrupt that and make school choice a much more discussed and comparative act.

  I see a huge upside to vouchers. Makes people wonder if they’re settling for less for their kids, and this prompts interest in education. Win all around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Nessmuk said:


Appealing on the one hand, further fragments society in the other.  Gives parents more control over their kids education, but condemns them to live with even more ill educated people if they remain in their community.  There is a clear benefit to starting our lives with more commonality of experience than less.

I see it as an incentive for poorly performing schools to up their game and communities to do the same. If I lived in a dump, I could move to another place, or get to work on fixing my own place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think businesses should have a say in curriculum. After all, most students will eventually need the skills the business and industry desire.

I would trust business to give future employees the sustainable education needed to be a functioning adult before I would trust government and teachers unions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, Nessmuk said:


Appealing on the one hand, further fragments society in the other.  Gives parents more control over their kids education, but condemns them to live with even more ill educated people if they remain in their community.  There is a clear benefit to starting our lives with more commonality of experience than less.

 

8 mins ago, FlukeM said:

I see it as an incentive for poorly performing schools to up their game and communities to do the same. If I lived in a dump, I could move to another place, or get to work on fixing my own place. 

This^^^^^   

 

In the real world a business fails it goes belly up, out of business. 

 

If a public school fails it gets more money. 

 

There is not one rational person who can honestly say they agree with this practice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, Dave S said:

 

 

 

In the real world a business fails it goes belly up, out of business. 

 

If a public school fails it gets more money. 

 

There is not one rational person who can honestly say they agree with this practice. 

Democrats...……….oh wait, you said rational.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Little said:

Here is some left wing hag from Kansas running for the democrat party.  Right up their alley

 

 

Here is my question.  Famous guy Alan Keyes, teacher and lawyer from chicago.  He was nuts, but he had that evil genius thing going on.  On the concept of gummit schools he famously said:

 

"Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?"

 

 

If you desire liberty, if you want a free nation, you can in no way deny the above.  And it is manifesting itself now, as the above video shows.

 

 

 

Government education is a bad idea.  Discuss.

Any system that could embrace the 1619 Project and not see the consequences is on the verge of becoming meaningless.  Charter schools have a track record of producing students who excel over their public school counterparts in every area.  It's especially true for poor kids and children of color. People who want to see results see this.  People who want to paly politics see it and ignore it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, FishinMortician said:

Pay for your own kids. We need ditch diggers you know.

I am. 

 

Problem I have is I'm also paying for a school he doesn't attend (My local public)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$21,000-29,000/a year for private school in CT. Even catholic schools which were practically extinct, but recently revived with Asian and Indian student body is up to $7,000-12,000. Not realistic for majority 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.