Sporto10003

Wetsuit & keeping feet warm

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Just got a 5mm Farmer Johns wetsuit on Amazon. It’s a two piece with sleeveless bib style and zippered top you step into. Seems bomb proof for cold water surf casting. However I’m worried about my feet. No booties on this wetsuit the bibs stop at the ankles. So how do I keep my feet warm and maybe even dry?  Looking at knee high seal socks then my Korkers or what?  Should I return this and get a wetsuit that has booties built in. Any advice or recommendations welcome. 

26A509BC-E1AC-414D-8189-EB82C5499522.jpeg

You bought a wet suit hence you will get wet, a dry suit will keep you dry. As far as your feet staying warm, in my opinion, the tighter your footwear fits the colder your feet will be, if you can't wiggle your toes your feet will get cold

If you want to stay dry get waders. The wetsuit is made to allow water in, then it uses your body warmth to warm that water up and keep you warm, you will be wet. 

I also don't think you want dive boots or neoprene booties because of the same reasons, you will be wet. If you get waders with the built in boots they are typically some type of rubber(waterproof). Plus neoprene booties rubbing with the sand probably wouldn't last that long. I use neoprene booties on my kayak but I wear warm socks and then a plastic bag over them, then the booty. Seems to keep the cold water off my skin and the wool sock keeps me warm.

Thinking my boots are too tight., I have been using a size eleven  korkers  boot and 5 mm diving socks.  I have to really stretch out the laces to get them on my feet. should I go up to size 12? How should korkers fit over neoprene socks work like hell to get them on or slide on?

I prefer waders more and more the colder it gets but there are some spots it doesn't make sense.  My solution has been a farmer john with good thermal base layer, windbreaker shell pants and the NRS boundary socks. 

IF and only IF they fit your ankle and calf well they actually form a decent seal. When I add a few layers of packing stretch wrap under and over the top of the NRS socks they seal extremely well for me. Only problem is they aren't breathable so I eventually sweat and get damp and cold. 

The way neoprene socks or dive boots work is they trap the water and your body heats it up. If they stay dry you’re feet are going to get cold. First thing I do before putting my fins on is fill up my boots, once I’m submerged I pull down the neck on my wetsuit to fill up the inside. 

as stated its a wet suit your feet are going to get wet. If the water is cold i wear a pair of 5mil and 2 mil neoprene socks under boots.  Once your feet warm the water in the socks you will be fine.

You could wear seal skin socks. They will help keep your feet warm... Your feet are going to get wet though as everyone else has mentioned.. that’s the purpose of a wet suit, or the seal socks. They trap in your body heat...

Keep in mind though if you choose to wear the Seal socks, or buy neoprene booties, if they’ll fit on with your wading boots, As they might be too tight.