Otony

Can anyone recommend a rod similar to this?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I’ve been looking at an Okuma SST for my son. The specific model is the SST-S-802MH. It’s an 8’ salmon/steelhead spinning rod rated for 1/2 to 2 ounces. That would work perfectly for him when we are fishing for redtails (perch) out on the Oregon coast, and he can use it for salmon and steelhead on the Snake and the Columbia. I wouldn’t mind something that could go up to say 3 ounces, but I’d like some other suggestions even if it just duplicates the SST specs.

The price is right, btw, around 75 bucks. He is a good kid but at 14 years old **** happens easy, so I’d like to keep the price around a 100 clams or less.

Any ideas?

Otony

Not sure if you can find these days in your price range but the Tsunami Airwave Elite Braid Select might match up well with your desired specs.

Specifically 

TSAWEBS-802XH

8'0"

15-40lb  line  3/4-3 oz.

Same with the St Croix Triumph Musky 8' MHF 3/4-3oz

but they are about 25 over your budget.  But was considering your desire to have the 3oz rating.

Edited by RiverShoulders

7 hours ago, SeaZen 21 said:

Star stellar lite surf rod. They have an 8’ 1/2 to 3oz offering for 100 bucks.  I love my 7’6 which is rated a little lighter 

Good choice, I always think I'm fishing  my Lamiglas when I use it, needed a 2 piece rod for travel one time and bought the Star Rod, very satisfied. I'd buy again and I try and not make the same mistake twice. 

On 10/8/2020 at 4:15 PM, surfpanda101 said:

Tsunami trophy 2 in the 8.6 is an incredible rod and even better than the more expensive elite

You mean the 8’? There’s no way you can throw 2 let alone 3 oz on the 8’6”D model. That’s the definition of a noodle rod

52 mins ago, ifishthebadspots said:

I've tried a few rods recently (broke a tsunami trophy II, btw). I am now a Star Stellar guy, the 8' one piece model feels amazing. You get a lot for the price.

Star, heard of them. R they 100% USA company like Accurate?

On 10/11/2020 at 0:38 AM, ifishthebadspots said:

I've tried a few rods recently (broke a tsunami trophy II, btw). I am now a Star Stellar guy, the 8' one piece model feels amazing. You get a lot for the price.

I'd like to expand on my review here, in case someone else is looking at this.

1. These rods are on the stiffer side, mod fast action at best, definitely not moderate. On their website it says medium under "Action", what they really mean is medium power, action is not mentioned anywhere.

2. To add to the previous point, these rods have backbone, I would say you could fish the canal with this on lighter tackle.

3. Sensitivity is rather good.

4. The one piece 8' model is rated up to 3 oz, but it doesn't do well at the top of that range. You could lob stuff with it, but it won't be pretty. At 2 oz it casts really well.

The verdict: if someone likes rods with some backbone, but still light to hold - look no further. The butt section is not too long either, about 13" to the reel seat - a pretty good design from what I understand.

On 10/7/2020 at 11:05 PM, Otony said:

I’ve been looking at an Okuma SST for my son. The specific model is the SST-S-802MH. It’s an 8’ salmon/steelhead spinning rod rated for 1/2 to 2 ounces. That would work perfectly for him when we are fishing for redtails (perch) out on the Oregon coast, and he can use it for salmon and steelhead on the Snake and the Columbia. I wouldn’t mind something that could go up to say 3 ounces, but I’d like some other suggestions even if it just duplicates the SST specs.

The price is right, btw, around 75 bucks. He is a good kid but at 14 years old **** happens easy, so I’d like to keep the price around a 100 clams or less.

Any ideas?

Otony

1/2 to 2 ounces.

i am casting spining 7' saint croix medium light and i lift 7 lb fish on 10' rock high from water,20# power pro.this rod perform good to 1.5 oz cast perfect.

i cast 1 oz ,163'=54 yards

i like lightest rod for best price,best performance.

you need medium/medium

MH feel like broom stick with line.

there was rod and good reel for $70 new ,riversider stelie rod 9'.

if you like the kid work the rod,you need lite rod,if you give him broom stick he will get tierd to quick.

Edited by snag777