Tristan454

11ft Rod/Reel Recommendations

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

My set up currently consists of a 9'6" (1/2 - 3oz) rod paired with a Penn Battle II 5000 with 20lb braid. It's been fine for the majority of fishing I do in the river/ocean jetties but based on my research it seems I might need something a little more beefy for fishing Long Island inlets and Montauk. 2 questions here...

1. Is this set up suitable for the locations mentioned considering the majority of the fishing I do is with 1-2oz bucktails, soft plastics, diamond jigs and 2-3oz plugs.

2. If I do need to upgrade what setups would be suitable? I'm currently looking at the rods/reels below on a low to moderate budget. 

ODM DNA 11ft MH

Tsunami Airwave Elite 11ft MH

Penn Conflict II Long Cast 6000

Penn Spinfisher VI 6500

Open to any and all suggestions.

After going thru choosing a setup nothing beats trying it out first hand if at all possible.  I was able to hit a few shops and a number of people were very generous to allow me to try their setups at the shore.

ETA: there was a good amount of 9'-10' rods out there on the surf.

I would think a M to MH mod fast  3/4 to 4 oz range 10'6" - 11'6"

If the reel is working for you and your happy with it???

I did notice a number of rods that while they could handle the max lure weight rated lures it was outside that sweet spot.  They felt a bit overloaded with some power behind it.

What about a Airwave Elite TSAWESS-1102M  11' 1-4oz M power 15-30lb line

There is also the Mojo Surf 10'6" M 3/4-4oz. 10-20lb line.

speaking of reels personally I have had my eye on the Slammer III 6500HS for the canal and obx surf.  I am finding I like the faster retrieve reels but I am just beginning my journey.  I seem to feel most comfortable working the rod vs winching the reel.

Edited by RiverShoulders

19 hours ago, Tristan454 said:

My set up currently consists of a 9'6" (1/2 - 3oz) rod paired with a Penn Battle II 5000 with 20lb braid. It's been fine for the majority of fishing I do in the river/ocean jetties but based on my research it seems I might need something a little more beefy for fishing Long Island inlets and Montauk. 2 questions here...

1. Is this set up suitable for the locations mentioned considering the majority of the fishing I do is with 1-2oz bucktails, soft plastics, diamond jigs and 2-3oz plugs.

2. If I do need to upgrade what setups would be suitable? I'm currently looking at the rods/reels below on a low to moderate budget. 

ODM DNA 11ft MH

Tsunami Airwave Elite 11ft MH

Penn Conflict II Long Cast 6000

Penn Spinfisher VI 6500

Open to any and all suggestions.

Wouldn't you rather have more leverage, control and manageability when fishing around structure?