TJC

Prescription progressive sunglasses

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

In the market for a new pair of prescription sunglasses.. I did some homework and the cost of a prescription progressive Costa sunglasses is in the neighborhood of $800-$900.. Was a little sticker shock to say the least.. Anybody know of any deals on Costa prescription sunglasses . ( coupon code ) Or any other brands somebody might’ve have had success with ?

I wear the Cocoons fit-overs over an older pair of progressives - not ideal but "good enough".  The prescription progressives just seem too expensive to be used on and around saltwater. 

I use progressive glasses. But not for fishing. Able to use single vision contacts. They work great. That way you can wear any type of sunglasses. 

NOT progressive , I just feel for fishing they don't work for me

Maui Jim about 4 years old $ 500.00. Need them big time for sunny days . I like them alot , can really see the flats good & the trout streams . Take in mind I wear slightly tinted glasses on cloudy days as well . 

Edited by Hook I

I've paid around $500 each for 2 sets of transition progressive polarized... it's the lens, not the "brand" that matters.  I believe they were action-optics. They are awesome for driving, and for flyfishing where I need to see near and far.

I have had great luck with air optix aqua multi-focal contacts.  I can see far and can read menus. 

But for real for up close work (especially in the lower light conditions) I still have to throw on 1.5x readers.

Just ordered a pair of Costa progressive glass lens polarized sun glasses from frames direct two weeks ago.. You need a recent prescription to place an order. I hope there worth the money. Kind of a pain to deal with but no dealers around to use up here.  I have a trip next week in Marathon but couldn’t get them in time. I have a pair to use but not the nice wrap around style. I’ll have them for my April Tarpon trip. Can’t wait

Been using Sam's Club progressive, polarized glasses for years.  Do yourself a favor and go for the Zeiss lens.  As others here have said, it's the lens, not the frame that's important.  Yeah, you can spend close to $1000 to show everyone you're cool, but really stupid, and wear Maui Jim's, but for less than 1/2 that you can see fine and if you're still intent on showing folks you're cool, and like to waste money, buy yourself an overpriced fishing reel...

Maui Jim, worth every penny, great quality. Had bought other custom made which never were optically correct , or polarization. You need your eye sight. don't skimp

LensesRx is where I go. Progressive, Transition, Polarized ect. and can run 280.00 to 380.00 with discounts. If you have your prescription and frame measurements you can find something. I wear aviators  

On 11/30/2020 at 10:15 AM, RAW said:

Maui Jim, worth every penny, great quality. Had bought other custom made which never were optically correct , or polarization. You need your eye sight. don't skimp

Same here. 

On 11/30/2020 at 10:15 AM, RAW said:

this is going to be a dumb question but if you have an exam and an eyeglass prescription, how do you order Mauis? Direct or through a dealer or optometrist? 

On 11/27/2020 at 7:04 AM, turkaholic said:

Just ordered a pair of Costa progressive glass lens polarized sun glasses from frames direct two weeks ago.. You need a recent prescription to place an order. I hope there worth the money. Kind of a pain to deal with but no dealers around to use up here.  I have a trip next week in Marathon but couldn’t get them in time. I have a pair to use but not the nice wrap around style. I’ll have them for my April Tarpon trip. Can’t wait

How did you pick frames? Did you have a pair you like and ordered the custom? Or did you find a pair in a shop and used that as the guide? 

Sorry about the dumb questions here and above?