bbplayer1320

Perfect Beaches for Asian Green Crabs

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

Im just getting into Saltwater fishing as got all my equipment spending money to get things going properly. Heard that Black Fish are the fish to be going after for the fall season and was made aware that green crabs are the bait of choice. I know i could go to shops to get the bait but am now really tight on money due to the new equipment i obtain from local shops. I am hoping someone would know what beaches would be a good location for me to go flipping rocks or digging through seaweed to find these guys.

Thanks in advance.

Better off with a net IMO. They are cheap and simple, and you can pile in crabs from any pier. You can pick them from shore too, it would just take longer. You can also skip the crabs entirely, and tip a jig with clam. You get a little more bycatch that way, but it's not like scup and black sea bass ignore crab pieces either.

I don't fish for tog or use crabs for bait but I can tell you any shore with lots of rocks to flip should be loaded with green crabs. Usually several under each rock. I would imagine you could get all you need in an hour at low tide. You just need the type of rocks you can lift to look under.

BTW green crabs are not asian. They're originally from Europe. 

I know they’re inexpensive, but for some reason I still like to get my own crabs for tog.

John Skinner recently posted a YouTube video showing how he gets his crabs on Long Island. It’s pretty simple, although it seems like LI has a lot more of them than we do in MA. Maybe the infestation started in that area?

Quincy - Marina Bay area has some rocky shoreline that you can obtain bunch from there. But few years ago when I was there, I couldn't find much within the hour. Also any fishing pier bring a crab trap you can easily catch your own using fish scraps or drumstick. Canal shoreline isn't a bad place either.

The problem is time and have to pick lowish tide to go.

Asain shore crabs and green crabs are two different species. If you want greens I would walk a salt marsh with a dip net. Asians you can find any rocky shoreline and flip rocks. Both make excellent bait.

For green crabs just go to any pier on the north shore with a crab trap. You will fill up 5 gal bucket in just an hour or so. Bring a freshwater rod and target smelt while you're at it.