sbcbmx112

Pool heating question!

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys and gals,

On Saturday I'll be head to Salvo for a week.  The rental has a pool and my SO is asking if we should pay to have it heated or not.  I honestly have no idea and the price isn't insignificant.  While we can afford it I'd rather not pay if the pool will be warm enough on its own.  Anyone have any guidance here?

Thanks!

11 mins ago, bronson said:

I'm pool guy on obx.  it will be worth it.  most pool temps now here are 65-68 degrees.  thats more than refreshing. 

Awesome info, thank you so much! 

when do they turn the heater on?  at the start of your rental contract?  will that be far enough before you get to there to even warm the pool?

1 min ago, towpro said:

when do they turn the heater on?  at the start of your rental contract?  will that be far enough before you get to there to even warm the pool?

48 hours before the rental starts so I need to let them know by tomorrow.

It will be needed if you want to swim, the question is if its 71 out, who wants to go in the pool. The answer is nobody. Don't see it warming up past the 75 mark, I think swimming season is over, even in the OBX.

Of all the folks I ever saw heat their pools (in NJ) it was always for in season use (June-Sept.) because the water temps get down after a few cool nights and many don't like the cooler water. Here your trying to battle two parts of the equation, water and air temps, air temps under 80 make swimming wait for another season. Hot tub it instead. 

Like wanting something you don't have, you'll justify heating the pool. I doubt it will get warmer (water temp) than the mid 70's with the heater on if its 60's (air) at night.  Bring a wetsuit.

Edited by Highlander1

2 hours ago, towpro said:

that depends on a few things. was the pool heated the week before and is it a gas or electric  heater. either way check in is at 4 and the pool should l be well on its way.     

It’s usually $400 to heat the pool and pools usually close the middle of October, or the weekend after Columbus Day.

Not sure who your agency is, but if you have a Guest Web account, log on and order it. Pay too. I’d call to talk to an agent though, to be sure.

years ago, Hatteras realty homes had pool heat built into the rental price. Then a few years ago they followed Midgett and starting charging an extra $400.

On 10/7/2020 at 3:34 PM, Highlander1 said:

It will be needed if you want to swim, the question is if its 71 out, who wants to go in the pool. The answer is nobody. Don't see it warming up past the 75 mark, I think swimming season is over, even in the OBX.

Of all the folks I ever saw heat their pools (in NJ) it was always for in season use (June-Sept.) because the water temps get down after a few cool nights and many don't like the cooler water. Here your trying to battle two parts of the equation, water and air temps, air temps under 80 make swimming wait for another season. Hot tub it instead. 

Like wanting something you don't have, you'll justify heating the pool. I doubt it will get warmer (water temp) than the mid 70's with the heater on if its 60's (air) at night.  Bring a wetsuit.

Ocean water was 78 degrees last week in Hatteras Village. It was really nice to take a swim. We had a pool too, but did not pay to heat it. The pool was probably about 70.