Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seadogg

Cape lookout guides

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

My dad, brother and I were scheduled to head to the Everglades November 12 for an 3-day tarpon trip which included camping in the heart of the glades. We’ve done this trip many times before and it’s world class, but our flights got changed and they’re not conducive to the fishing schedule we had planned. We may now have to scrap that trip and travel elsewhere. I’ve always wanted to hit the Carolinas for albies/reds/sharks so I’m looking for recommendations on guides. I know it’s short notice but the more contacts I have the better. I’ll be fly fishing but my dad and brother use spinning gear. As far as the wind/weather goes, if the captain wants to leave the dock, so do we. Looking forward to the responses. 

1 hour ago, Seadogg said:

My dad, brother and I were scheduled to head to the Everglades November 12 for an 3-day tarpon trip which included camping in the heart of the glades. We’ve done this trip many times before and it’s world class, but our flights got changed and they’re not conducive to the fishing schedule we had planned. We may now have to scrap that trip and travel elsewhere. I’ve always wanted to hit the Carolinas for albies/reds/sharks so I’m looking for recommendations on guides. I know it’s short notice but the more contacts I have the better. I’ll be fly fishing but my dad and brother use spinning gear. As far as the wind/weather goes, if the captain wants to leave the dock, so do we. Looking forward to the responses. 

Contact the "Fishing Center" at Harkers Islander and see what they have to say. Go first class and contact Brian Horsley hear at SOL ... or OBX fly fishing dot com. Harkers Island is a nice fishing get away ... low key ... lots of sportsman from all over.

Dan Comte is another good guide.   Contact Harkers Island Fishing Center and see what Rob Pasfield has open --as good as it gets 

here is a couple of tips about fishing at cape lookout--weather tips anyway 

Southwest/ west wind BAD--10 to 15 southwest/west can make it mucho rough---it is a south facing beach.

North/Northeast/ are the preferred winds 

any light winds are good --but when does that happen 

FWIW, a long time ago I went to Harkers Island and had some of wonderful albi fishing. Early November, probably early to mid 90's (whenever Clinton got elected). The Pasfield's (mom, dad + son) had just purchased the place and moved down from Long Island and were offering an AM boat ride out to the spit on the hook with a late PM pick up and return ride back to their place. I fished on the spit (my term), shallow water wading, hooked and released 13 on my first day. Stayed on-site in what was probably an early to mid 1950's motel on the Inland Waterway. Costs were reasonable, everyone got along, got to meet Bill Peabody who was probably there for R&R as well as fishing. Split a boat charter the second day and chased around behind the shrimp boats. Worth checking to see if the Spit fishing is still a viable option.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Looks like we were able to work out some flights to Florida that work for us so our trip to tarponville USA is apparently still a go. I’ll definitely be revisiting this thread when the time comes to hit the Harkers albie bite though. Thanks once again.