Gilbey

Sports Analytics Major?

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

Son #4 graduated high school in the Spring and is currently taking a few online courses thru our local community college. Last night he announced he wants to apply to a few bigger universities for Fall 2021 admission who offer a Sports Analytics degree. My first thought was;  "Are there really any jobs in this field? Or is it just for kids who like sports and think they are going to host a show on ESPN?" 

Does anyone have any experiences in this field? Are there really any jobs? 

Analytics has jumped the shark in a major way. Those pinheads have rooned baseball, and any edge the stats geeks had has disappeared, since they're all doing the same thing now. 

As an academic subject, however, it might have merit. It's gotta be a math degree like statistics, I would think. 

Not sure about the sports analytics degree thing specifically but analytics of any kind is super deep in statistics and heavy in math and computers. . Someone would need to be very good in math and statistics. I'm talking super math nerd here lol.

Right. I imagine he thinks he's going to land a front office job with the NY Giants, when in reality I see it more like selling peanuts and beer at the minor league baseball stadium. :o 

11 mins ago, Belmo said:

As an academic subject, however, it might have merit. It's gotta be a math degree like statistics, I would think. 

Agreed 

I think that in a sports analytics major, studying the Ragozin Sheets oughta be mandatory. Those sheet wackos were into analytics decades before the numbers weenies in other sports caught on. 

Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 12.16.51 PM.png

Dead on Dinghy. He's a tough one, hard headed for sure. I discovered long ago, with him the best angle is to make him think my ideas are HIS ideas.

I'm trying to keep the dialogue open. In my mind, ideally the degree would be combined with a business and/or communications major/minor degree. He's very good in math, but I would not say he's a prodigy by any stretch. 

9 mins ago, Gilbey said:

I'm trying to keep the dialogue open. In my mind, ideally the degree would be combined with a business and/or communications major/minor degree. He's very good in math, but I would not say he's a prodigy by any stretch. 

That's a good approach. Statisticians can migrate from sports to business simply because it's all about the numbers!

For consideration: I have an old friend who went to Boston University, graduated with a degree in broadcasting, and her first job out was as a cashier at a supermarket.

Then there's my younger sister who went to UMASS Amherst  and then UMASS Boston, graduated with a degree in nursing, and had a 6 figure job waiting for her at the Brigham's & Women's hospital in their Oncology ward as head nurse.

Of course it helped that she worked at the hospital while she was going to school, and went to school in 3 years straight (no breaks) and when she graduated she had very little in college loans to pay since she was working and "paying as she went".

Her boss told her that the job was hers when she graduated.

The key is if you want to follow your dreams, make sure you have a plan in mind, and a backup plan as well so you don't become another college educated cashier/waiter...

When all else fails I just try and keep the young folk talking. As long as they’re relatively intelligent, making sure they thought it through is all you can ask for really.