Jmat321

People Keeping Albies

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

i keep them for shark and yellow fin tuna bait, chum and also use the belly strips for swordfish baits. They make great baits and chum, if i see them on my way out we grab 10 or so for bait and to add to our chum slick.

Edited by canalsharpie

13 mins ago, VitaminDee said:

It may be a wild guess but maybe they eat them :shrug:. No such thing as bad food just bad cooks.

they are barely edible if bled and iced right away, that's not happening from what I see.  Just look like an exotic dead fish for photos.

I've eaten them. Taste better raw in poké or sashimi than cooked.

Almost like blackfin.

If you do try it, there are lots of videos showing you the best way to prepare.

The dark meat is harsh.

If you cook avoid making a steak with the skin on and trim off dark meat.

Bleeding out helps.

You might like it.

13 mins ago, Jmat321 said:

they are barely edible if bled and iced right away, that's not happening from what I see.  Just look like an exotic dead fish for photos.

I disagree. I chop the head off right away and bled Iced down when it goes into the car. When you filet, only the midbelly and up are good to eat. The rest is too saturated with blood and taste minerally. Seared and served with soy garlic and thai chilli peppers. I dont know what those people are doing but id eat an albie again. 

1 hour ago, dieselgrady said:

If there is a better shark bait than half a n Albie fillet, I have yet to find it.  

Barracuda. Nothing attracts sharks like filet of cuda.

Albies and Bones are practically world wide. I have caught both species in 4 different countries spanning East and West Coast Gulf in America to the Tropics and Europe. I have seen it served in restaurants and the pier folks catching a few to do with as they please. 

Only in America do you read about how horrible they taste and the Cat or Dog thing. Most are just repeating what they read online. Most of these  people gag at sharing their Red Bull in the same cooler as fish.  You have to consider the source. 

You have to keep in mind.  There is enough wasabi on this earth to make anything taste good and if you don't like Wasabi?  Move along and leave it for us. :wave:

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

Albies and Bones are practically world wide. I have caught both species in 4 different countries spanning East and West Coast Gulf in America to the Tropics and Europe. I have seen it served in restaurants and the pier folks catching a few to do with as they please. 

Only in America do you read about how horrible they taste and the Cat or Dog thing. Most are just repeating what they read online. Most of these  people gag at sharing their Red Bull in the same cooler as fish.  You have to consider the source. 

You have to keep in mind.  There is enough wasabi on this earth to make anything taste good and if you don't like Wasabi?  Move along and leave it for us. :wave:

I dunno man......They taste like **** to me and I've eaten about 40lbs of yellowfin bluefin bigeye and skipjack this season.   They taste like blood and pennies to me.   I also hate cilantro and peas.....so that may play a role.

Fully cooked bluefin unless butter basted throughout the entire cooking process tastes pretty ****** too....but not close to what false albacore taste like

Edited by scoobydoo