original st croix AVID first gen. surf rod

Rate this topic

DeepBlue

curious what people think about this blank or if anyone still fishes one....i had one years ago that unfortunately broke due to my own error but the fishing i did with it was memorable.  the lightness, sensitivity, flex an one piece option in a 10' made the M my favorite rod.  anyone know of any available or willing to sell?  for the life of me im not sure why st.croix cant keep their older stuff available the way other rod companies do.  

I bellieve that's the red blank your talking about.... the rod I'm talking about were matte black like the new ones that just came out.  They had older style frame guides and were the original first generation rods with the name Avid....

Edited by DeepBlue85

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had 3 over the years. A 9 foot that I loved. Met its end in my car door. I currently have a 10 foot med and a 10 foot medium heavy. I like and use the med quite a bit. Rarely use the med heavy as it is a little heavier than I like and has that giant foam foregrip that’s just big enough for my bail to clip my knuckles on the way by. Nice blanks though.  Def preferred to the mojo they replaced the 9 with as far as sensitivity. 

On 10/8/2020 at 0:54 PM, Accebere said:

I had the 9’ one piece and loved it. Great for bucktails and pencil poppers with a good backbone. A buddy of my snapped it and I sent it back to St Croix and they replaced with a 9’ Mojo. 

You had an Avid 9' and St. Croix replaced it with a 9' Mojo???? I'd have a big problem with that.

On 10/8/2020 at 0:54 PM, Accebere said:

I had the 9’ one piece and loved it. Great for bucktails and pencil poppers with a good backbone. 

Yup, shame they stopped making it. 

"Lucky" is a fictional character on the interwebs. Nothing "Lucky" says or does can be or should be construed as a real thought by an actual person. Objects in your rear view mirror may appear to be closer than they actually are.

2 mins ago, Accebere said:

This was a discontinued rod and was at least 10 yrs old. It was not one of the new Avid rods. 

I guess in reality they could tell you to pound sand but regardless if it was a 10 year old Avid or 30 year old Avid, if a company is going to "make it right" they would replace it with an equally named/quality rod. 

Yeah wasn’t thrilled with the mojo replacement. Loved the 9 black avid surf. Really sensitive tip for a 9 foot surf rod. This was in the gap when they discontinued the black avid before they put out the red ones.  I’ve never owned one of the older black avid non surf rods. How do the stack up to the later inshore models (brown or green)?