stripercrazy

Defund DEM

Rate this topic

98 posts in this topic

defund DEM, no trash cans, no porta party's,no boat reg,trout season forget it.......I think the state did put in a natural porta party at the great island boat ramp I'll post a photo

I have seen ZERO enforcement of anything this year.  Neve even saw a DEM officer get out of their truck, even high volume poaching areas i would watch them just cruise by.......

Every time I called  on Spanish keeping undersized, out of season, leaving trash or dumping live robins, dogs, or skates in the rocks they didn't show up ONCE.    The three times I called on either an Asian or white guy doing similar activities they were there.......    

I had one officer when I called them about one spot being loaded with Mass out of plate states  during the initial lockdown where out of state travel was BANNED BY THE GOVERNOR   DEM officer asked for a description of the people when he found out they were Spanish I was told they can't enforce this because it may seem discriminatory .  

Another example....when called about undersized scup I'm told "we can't show up just for scup"   when called for undersized fluke. told "are they keeping anything else?"   both times they do not show up.  But the time I call about an undersize striper  they were there in minutes. So do they only care about striper? If so then why set limits in place for all these species that clearly do not matter???

The police are scared to enforce laws on one color/ethnicity but not on others....and they say THEY want equality???   Laws are laws police need to follow and enforce them regardless of skin color, religious beliefs, ect. DO YOUR EFFING JOB to EVERYONE .   Coming into this season I had the utmost respect for DEM guys, I knew they were on our side trying to protect the fish, protect the future of fishing and our oceans,  but this season they have lost me entirely , the selective enforcement is disgusting 

There needs to be a complete overhaul of both DEM and the fisheries management system. I do not support BLM or the defund movements but I do support people losing their jobs who are doing nothing productive in those jobs.

I had a first this year, actually talked to a DEM guy. They were in a boat going around just talking to folks. Nice that they were showing a presence but I didn’t even see one fishing license or cooler check...

Feds have been much more prevalent this year than dem from what I've seen 

Ran into the same gentleman twice  both at spots I wouldn't general expect to run Into a conservation officer 

Both times license was checked, cooler was checked, and carcases of my catch were measured ( if they were questionable) 

Both times he also went out of his way to make sure I wasn't hiding anything, checking hatches of my kayak, and empty bait buckets I had nearby 

4 hours ago, Kooky said:

I have seen ZERO enforcement of anything this year.  Neve even saw a DEM officer get out of their truck, even high volume poaching areas i would watch them just cruise by.......

weird i have seen DEM more this year at my marina than ever before. I must have had them check my boat at my slip returning from fishing at least 15 times this year. Last year never got checked once.

Edited by canalsharpie

I have seen DEM out more this year also. They are stretched very thin and do not have the man power to adequately stop the amount of poaching going on. That is very clear. However, one time in particular that I ran into them stuck out to me. I was fishing a popular jetty and noticed a gentleman throw a 13” fluke into his bucket quickly after reeling it in. I refrained from calling DEM because I haven’t had much success when I have called in the past. To my surprise, an officer showed up as part of a routine stop at the jetty (more to hand out parking tickets than to enforce fisheries law) but none the less he was checking people as they walked off. He asked for my license and whether I kept any fish. I presented my document and did not have a haul. When I asked him if he ran into this poacher, whom I witnessed keep a well short fish, he told me that he had. When I asked what penalty/fine was issued for that type of violation he replied “I just gave him a warning. He was very upset as was his family”. Something tells me “a warning” isn’t going to stop future transgressions like that. 

..sigh..

13 mins ago, VitaminDee said:

They even eat it too now!

Think of Ma anglers as an invasive species. Like snakeheads and asian carp. Once they get a foothold you'll never get rid of them.

over the years of throwing back fish even keeper size bass to 48 inches.......what have we gained? in 84 we caught 34 inch fish ,when it went down to 28 inches we caught 26 inch fish.....in 40 years we've gained nothing.......bluefish i don't know what happened but were down to 3 fish i don't keep more than a fish or 2 a year so i don't care.........but lets face it ....it ain't working its a laugh

Edited by stripercrazy