ZATsol

Fishing around Baraboo, Wisconsin?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I have upcoming family trip to Baraboo, Wisconsin at the end of October. I’m thinking to take my fly-fishing rod, but I’m not sure where to go and what to use this time of year. It will be a last weekend of October. I wonder if you can give me some advice for nearby places to fish.

Please PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!

Just remember that the trout season closes in Wisconsin on 10/15.  There are a few exceptions, but none of them are in that area.  With luck you may find some smallies, especially in the Wisconsin River, though that has slowed down significantly in the last few weeks.  Truthfully, it's musky season around here, but unless you're already geared for it, that information may not do you much good.  Perhaps you can find a guide to take you musky fishing for a day.  He'll provide the gear and instructions.  Let us know how it works out.

Edited by Jr Spey

Thank you, Jr Spey!

I do have 10wt with RIO Outbound short. I think it should work for musky. I have few big poppers for saltwater. I think they could work as well. I can buy couple more big streamers. I just not sure where to go. Any places where I can wade from the shore? I will have limited time. So, whole day of fishing with guide is out of the picture.

Please PM me if you prefer.

Truth is, because I don't musky fish in that area, I don't know where to go either, and I'll never try to BS you that I do.  Perhaps your best bet is to contact the closest fly shop and talk to the owner, Kyle Zempel, who musky fishes and guides in that area.  The name of his shop is Black Earth Angling and the phone number is easily found on Google.  Good luck!

Edited by Jr Spey

It did not work out in Baraboo. We had very limited time. We took boat tour on upper Wisconsin river. Very beautiful place. I did see few bass boats on the river. But it was high and muddy after the rain.

I did manage to go to Root river at Racine on my way back. Landed couple of kings. Almost end of the season for salmon. All fish were dark and spawn out.

Thanks!