What the Hell kinda Lure is that?

Rate this topic

dixiekraut

Thursday my wife and I were walking the beach from Ramp 55 to the Hatteras Inlet and found a branch with a tangle of fishing line, weeds and these two old lures. They're both 3-1/4 inch long. The one on the right looks like a Stingsilver but with red eyes. The other one on the left....never seen anything like it....looks like a cork screw. The nickel like finish is worn off revealing a copper color undeneath. The numbers "289" appear engraved near the eyelet. Any of you guys ever seen a lure like this?

20201004_214015.jpg

Edited by dixiekraut

You bet. Funniest story I ever heard regarding old found lures was many years ago at the Indian River Inlet in Delaware. My bro was one of a cast of dozens throwing everything in the box to a school of bluefish crashing thru the inlet. Some old dude who was fishing for tog on the rocks wanted to join in but didn't have a lure to use...he was bait fishing with green crabs. He had previously hauled up a tangle of weeds, line and rusty bucktails.             ( Indian River is famous for snags )       The guy pulled a barely recognizable white bucktail out of the mass and commenced to throwing it...sure enough he landed a blue within minutes. From the junk pile..... to the cooler.

Many years ago, when the NY Boat Show was held at the old NY Coliseum,  there was a vendor who sold “spiral” lures like the one in the photo.

I never bought one or paid much attention to them but, from what I can recall, the guy selling the lures was also the inventor/manufacturer of them.

I remember that they appeared to be well made, came in a range of sizes.

I never saw them sold outside the boat show.