jetty eddy

tactical angler clips vs duo lock and split rings

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, jetty eddy said:

what brand of pliers?

Any good brand name, Snap-on / Proto / Klines / Utica / list goes on must be good steel or they will wear out fast, l find them yard sales flea markets. l won't pay more than 2 dollars and they must be tight and cutters still working some light rust is OK, every tackle box l open has a lest 10 clips in them, hang 12 on all my surf bags never know when you will need one and your buddy.

 

All bends should be over 90 degrees at your locking points that keeps things from sliding past a joint. 

Edited by LB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jetty eddy said:

I can't seem to locate any with holes online.

 

You won't, the holes l drill to the wire size I'm going to use, you can make the bend still without the holes but you have to grind angles on the jaws of the long nose pliers also the tip, look at the video again and look at the plier's jaws there ground and an angle, the first bend that you would make in the hole that can be done with the side of jaw of the pliers.that has the angle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2020 at 4:18 PM, Irishfire18 said:

Nope saltwater #1. When I find out what color teaser they like it gets tied on especially if there are big fish around. Haven’t had a problem with the smaller clip yet.

I do this as well. Do you mind if I ask what colors you use in your teaser rotations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, LB said:

Me but l don't sell them, l started to make my own 25 years ago l fished with my son and a group of guys that never had any clips, l all ways had at lets 6 hanging on my bag my son would give them out to whoever didn't have one there were times l had none after my son help them rig up.

 

Better than Duo-lock

5f7e3cc505fa8_Familypic2006-08012-Copy.jpg.527a45eb07736d2af3bb5d8ecb9147d7.jpg

 

Made a video making my clips wasn't easy working around the camera.

Could be something you might want to try. l use .029 / .032 / .035 SS fishing wire for my clips going to run a test against 50# TA clips when l get so time.

 

Love it. Thank you for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, adams54 said:

I do this as well. Do you mind if I ask what colors you use in your teaser rotations?

I tie most of my own. Black, black /pink, white, white / red.. I have other colors I use but I did good with white over the summer. Then some advice from MC55 about the black/pink worked great . Lately I have been using mostly white with a little contrast in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Irishfire18 said:

I tie most of my own. Black, black /pink, white, white / red.. I have other colors I use but I did good with white over the summer. Then some advice from MC55 about the black/pink worked great . Lately I have been using mostly white with a little contrast in it.

Thanks. I tie mine as well. And also use the tag end of the leader to swivel knot. Used to tie direct to that but swapping them out became a problem. Never liked the loop through the eye and over method. Seems like we have a lot in common.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used some spro clips but I really don't care for that type of clip. 125 lb is tough to clip to anything larger than a bomber ring, and at night and gloves on, forget it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using breakaway clips for years. only problem I had was that with heavier lure eyelets it was a pain to get onto the clip. About a year or 2 ago I found a clip with the end bent out a little. much easier to put lure/bucktails on.I believe they are made by Backlash,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 1st experience with TA was bad because I'm cheap and bought TA knockoffs.  My buddy handed me a real #75 one day and I never looked back.

 

I take the split rings off to ease plug on/off . With concave faced poppers you may need rings with TA clips.....if not on/off is like one of those puzzle games with the rings and triangles.          

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m truly surprised only one person has mentioned the spro snaps. To be clear, they make 3 styles, the “split snap” I believe..? The “twist snap” & the “prime snap”. I’ve never used the split or twist snaps, but, I 100% will use the spro prime snap over a TA. I’ve also come to find out that its easier to get lures on and off of compared to TA’s, even cupped face/popper lures & bucktails. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run into the problem with TA clip wire being too thick for the lure or hook eye occasionally. For those cases, i always carry a few medium duolocks.  The thinner wire usually threads thru just abt anytbing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, LB said:

Me but l don't sell them, l started to make my own 25 years ago l fished with my son and a group of guys that never had any clips, l all ways had at lets 6 hanging on my bag my son would give them out to whoever didn't have one there were times l had none after my son help them rig up.

 

Better than Duo-lock

5f7e3cc505fa8_Familypic2006-08012-Copy.jpg.527a45eb07736d2af3bb5d8ecb9147d7.jpg

 

Made a video making my clips wasn't easy working around the camera.

Could be something you might want to try. l use .029 / .032 / .035 SS fishing wire for my clips going to run a test against 50# TA clips when l get so time.

 

Very interesting.  A buddy of mine had a style of clip called a B clip.  The guy who was making them sold them for a short while and now my buddys running out of them.  Im wondering if it would be possible to make that style of clip without spring wire (Its similar to a TA clip).  I'll post pictures up of the clips later when I get home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.