tactical angler clips vs duo lock and split rings

Rate this topic

jetty eddy

I have been using the TA clips since they came out. Started with the 125# and like most people switched to the 75# when they arrived. They work perfectly fine. I can get just about any lure connected to them quickly and easily. Some lures do require a tad bit more "finagling" than others but it's not that big of a deal. I also remove all split rings from all of my plugs. I quite honestly don't understand all the problems people have with the clips. They are quick and easy and extremely strong. I have been surfcasting since the mid-80s, always used the Duo's because that's what we had. They work fine too but for me the TA clips ( I actually have a pack of Breakaways now) are much better. 

On 10/8/2020 at 11:49 PM, Baccigalup said:

Curious. Does anyone use ta clips on a dropper loop for a teaser?   Im getting old and its like threading a needle trying to put a teaser on....i used a duosnap a few times but im not sure i like the added hardware.

I use a small 50lb clip for my teasers because I like to switch colors till I find out what color they like. I have used it on a dropper loop but I don’t use the dropper that much. Usually run a small leader from the swivel or tie leader with a palomar knot leaving tag end longer and tie teaser to that.

....has anyone tried Mustad Fastach clips.

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

2 hours ago, Irishfire18 said:

I use a small 50lb clip for my teasers because I like to switch colors till I find out what color they like. I have used it on a dropper loop but I don’t use the dropper that much. Usually run a small leader from the swivel or tie leader with a palomar knot leaving tag end longer and tie teaser to that.

I might try that next

I'll BE PULLING ON MY ROD - TILL THEY LAY ME IN SOD!!!!!

I have heard from people that I trust that there are good duo locks, but after losing plug after plug, I dropped all of mine into the Joppa Flats. I've been using Breakaways since they came out, never had a problem. I do know of two failures though, both with pencil poppers, one let go of the plug, the other bent enough to lose another, probably due to the crazy swinging of the pencil's nose.

.........Elvis lives....2020

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, LB said:

Me but l don't sell them, l started to make my own 25 years ago l fished with my son and a group of guys that never had any clips, l all ways had at lets 6 hanging on my bag my son would give them out to whoever didn't have one there were times l had none after my son help them rig up.

Better than Duo-lock

5f7e3cc505fa8_Familypic2006-08012-Copy.jpg.527a45eb07736d2af3bb5d8ecb9147d7.jpg

Made a video making my clips wasn't easy working around the camera.

Could be something you might want to try. l use .029 / .032 / .035 SS fishing wire for my clips going to run a test against 50# TA clips when l get so time.

Very nice!    I may have to try that!

On 10/23/2020 at 11:25 AM, Irishfire18 said:

fresh water convert?

3 hours ago, Irishfire18 said:

Nope saltwater #1. When I find out what color teaser they like it gets tied on especially if there are big fish around. Haven’t had a problem with the smaller clip yet.

I used the Palomar for tons of presentations in fresh water. Now I only use it to tie the clip on. 

Edited by crazybellringer

Paper clip snaps are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I use Coastlock with the exception of specific lures which require a Duo-Lock for optimal presentation, those I crimp down the gate to minimize disable opening and leave attached to the lure. I then tie direct to the snap.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

On 10/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, LB said:

Me but l don't sell them, l started to make my own 25 years ago l fished with my son and a group of guys that never had any clips, l all ways had at lets 6 hanging on my bag my son would give them out to whoever didn't have one there were times l had none after my son help them rig up.

Better than Duo-lock

5f7e3cc505fa8_Familypic2006-08012-Copy.jpg.527a45eb07736d2af3bb5d8ecb9147d7.jpg

Made a video making my clips wasn't easy working around the camera.

Could be something you might want to try. l use .029 / .032 / .035 SS fishing wire for my clips going to run a test against 50# TA clips when l get so time.

what brand of pliers?