jetty eddy

tactical angler clips vs duo lock and split rings

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

I have been using the TA clips since they came out. Started with the 125# and like most people switched to the 75# when they arrived. They work perfectly fine. I can get just about any lure connected to them quickly and easily. Some lures do require a tad bit more "finagling" than others but it's not that big of a deal. I also remove all split rings from all of my plugs. I quite honestly don't understand all the problems people have with the clips. They are quick and easy and extremely strong. I have been surfcasting since the mid-80s, always used the Duo's because that's what we had. They work fine too but for me the TA clips ( I actually have a pack of Breakaways now) are much better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2020 at 11:49 PM, Baccigalup said:

Curious. Does anyone use ta clips on a dropper loop for a teaser?   Im getting old and its like threading a needle trying to put a teaser on....i used a duosnap a few times but im not sure i like the added hardware.

I use a small 50lb clip for my teasers because I like to switch colors till I find out what color they like. I have used it on a dropper loop but I don’t use the dropper that much. Usually run a small leader from the swivel or tie leader with a palomar knot leaving tag end longer and tie teaser to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Irishfire18 said:

I use a small 50lb clip for my teasers because I like to switch colors till I find out what color they like. I have used it on a dropper loop but I don’t use the dropper that much. Usually run a small leader from the swivel or tie leader with a palomar knot leaving tag end longer and tie teaser to that.

I might try that next

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard from people that I trust that there are good duo locks, but after losing plug after plug, I dropped all of mine into the Joppa Flats. I've been using Breakaways since they came out, never had a problem. I do know of two failures though, both with pencil poppers, one let go of the plug, the other bent enough to lose another, probably due to the crazy swinging of the pencil's nose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, LB said:

Me but l don't sell them, l started to make my own 25 years ago l fished with my son and a group of guys that never had any clips, l all ways had at lets 6 hanging on my bag my son would give them out to whoever didn't have one there were times l had none after my son help them rig up.

 

Better than Duo-lock

5f7e3cc505fa8_Familypic2006-08012-Copy.jpg.527a45eb07736d2af3bb5d8ecb9147d7.jpg

 

Made a video making my clips wasn't easy working around the camera.

Could be something you might want to try. l use .029 / .032 / .035 SS fishing wire for my clips going to run a test against 50# TA clips when l get so time.

 

Very nice!    I may have to try that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 11:25 AM, Irishfire18 said:

I use a small 50lb clip for my teasers because I like to switch colors till I find out what color they like. I have used it on a dropper loop but I don’t use the dropper that much. Usually run a small leader from the swivel or tie leader with a palomar knot leaving tag end longer and tie teaser to that.

fresh water convert?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

fresh water convert?

Nope saltwater #1. When I find out what color teaser they like it gets tied on especially if there are big fish around. Haven’t had a problem with the smaller clip yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Irishfire18 said:

Nope saltwater #1. When I find out what color teaser they like it gets tied on especially if there are big fish around. Haven’t had a problem with the smaller clip yet.

 

I used the Palomar for tons of presentations in fresh water. Now I only use it to tie the clip on. 

Edited by crazybellringer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paper clip snaps are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I use Coastlock with the exception of specific lures which require a Duo-Lock for optimal presentation, those I crimp down the gate to minimize disable opening and leave attached to the lure. I then tie direct to the snap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, LB said:

Me but l don't sell them, l started to make my own 25 years ago l fished with my son and a group of guys that never had any clips, l all ways had at lets 6 hanging on my bag my son would give them out to whoever didn't have one there were times l had none after my son help them rig up.

 

Better than Duo-lock

5f7e3cc505fa8_Familypic2006-08012-Copy.jpg.527a45eb07736d2af3bb5d8ecb9147d7.jpg

 

Made a video making my clips wasn't easy working around the camera.

Could be something you might want to try. l use .029 / .032 / .035 SS fishing wire for my clips going to run a test against 50# TA clips when l get so time.

 

what brand of pliers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.