jetty eddy

tactical angler clips vs duo lock and split rings

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

On 10/3/2020 at 6:41 PM, Frugal Fisherman said:

If it's a swimming popping lure/plug i go with a ta clip or duo..... finesse like unweighted soft plastics, drop shot, jig n pig is direct tie for me.... saltwater and walking the sand is a whole different ballgame. I can't keep snipping off a foot of line just to put on a new lure

My basic view as well. 

I thought I was the only one who still fishes duo lock style clips being that I'm "old school".  I tried the paper clips but found them hard to put on/off lures (no split rings, I remove em). I did have a duolock open on me for the first time ever this year. I landed a really "green" fat bass at the lip and he thrashed like crazy and opened the clip, took my lure back with him.  So that event got me thinking about giving the paper clips another try. On the fence!

23 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

So, IYO....who makes a quality duo-lock............

Not a big brand chaser. Whatever I can get the most quantity for for a reasonable price. I still have some cabelas store brand clips and swivels from 15+ yrs ago.  Might be the reason I’ve never dabbled as well. I’ve tried the paper clip style. Just not for me. 

I change up. Rosco Duo Locks since I joined here in 2000. Added TAs at times. For metals & non cupped lures (no split rings) I like them alot. I used them with gloves last winter with no problem.

On 10/6/2020 at 8:37 AM, Mr. Bigdeal said:

So, IYO....who makes a quality duo-lock............

Me but l don't sell them, l started to make my own 25 years ago l fished with my son and a group of guys that never had any clips, l all ways had at lets 6 hanging on my bag my son would give them out to whoever didn't have one there were times l had none after my son help them rig up.

Better than Duo-lock

5f7e3cc505fa8_Familypic2006-08012-Copy.jpg.527a45eb07736d2af3bb5d8ecb9147d7.jpg

Made a video making my clips wasn't easy working around the camera.

Could be something you might want to try. l use .029 / .032 / .035 SS fishing wire for my clips going to run a test against 50# TA clips when l get so time.

On 10/3/2020 at 6:09 PM, Mr. Bigdeal said:

What about smaller plugs....loop knot or duo / clip / metal fastener......

I tried using the smaller, 25# TA clips for smaller plugs and swim shads but had one open up when I caught a decent sized fish. I also had a 75# clip open up on a big bass but I could tell the knot had slid down where it wasn't supposed to be and the clip got loaded sideways and snapped off.

For the really small stuff I prefer a split ring and a tiny swivel. Sucks to carry split ring pliers and I'll admit I sometimes would rather snip it and retie if I'm in a hurry to get the line out there, but in my experience it's the most reliable connection with minimal hardware visible.

6 mins ago, Sir Defyable said:

I tried using the smaller, 25# TA clips for smaller plugs and swim shads but had one open up when I caught a decent sized fish. I also had a 75# clip open up on a big bass but I could tell the knot had slid down where it wasn't supposed to be and the clip got loaded sideways and snapped off.

For the really small stuff I prefer a split ring and a tiny swivel. Sucks to carry split ring pliers and I'll admit I sometimes would rather snip it and retie if I'm in a hurry to get the line out there, but in my experience it's the most reliable connection with minimal hardware visible.

Split ring and a swivel on small plugs.....hmmm.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Split ring and a swivel on small plugs.....hmmm.

I guess I could be more specific- like 5-6" Bombers/SP minnows I wouldn't use a 75+ lb TA clip, I would use a 100lb swivel and split ring. If I'm throwing a 7-9" pencil/darter/big spook I'll use a 125# clip

Some rules i fish by--

Remove all split rings to the extent possible.  Limit my usage of duolocks for very specific circumstances where i need them to get the most movement and convenience.  A coastlock or TA style paper clip in the largest size is always the best and safest bet. 

On 10/3/2020 at 5:54 PM, bbfish said:

I prefer to remove the split rings, they can be a pain with the TA clips especially at night or when your hands are cold. 

If you leave the rings on with the ta clip and dont hook it with them, they tend to bang on the side like a rattletrap...best of both worlds....

Curious. Does anyone use ta clips on a dropper loop for a teaser?   Im getting old and its like threading a needle trying to put a teaser on....i used a duosnap a few times but im not sure i like the added hardware.

Edited by Baccigalup