jetty eddy

tactical angler clips vs duo lock and split rings

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

I've always used my lures for the most part as they came in the package.If they had a split ring in the nose I kept it on and used a duo lock snap.I have some of the new (8yrs ago) tactical angler and other clips but I stick with my duo lock because The newer clips don't seem so friendly putting them on a split ring. Should I go with the new clips and remove my split rings?

6 mins ago, bbfish said:

I prefer to remove the split rings, they can be a pain with the TA clips especially at night or when your hands are cold. 

I see the rings as another place for gear failure... even before I got into striper fishing, I got rid of the split rings.  I would do the Rapala knot for wobble lures. Clips changed the game.  

24 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

What about smaller plugs....loop knot or duo / clip / metal fastener......

If it's a swimming popping lure/plug i go with a ta clip or duo..... finesse like unweighted soft plastics, drop shot, jig n pig is direct tie for me.... saltwater and walking the sand is a whole different ballgame. I can't keep snipping off a foot of line just to put on a new lure

I lost a plug to a 8 or so pound blue when a duolock opened up. Never used them again. I use a TA clip directly to the plug, no split ring. Like @bbfish  said, they're a pain a night and in the cold

1 hour ago, Frugal Fisherman said:

If it's a swimming popping lure/plug i go with a ta clip or duo..... finesse like unweighted soft plastics, drop shot, jig n pig is direct tie for me.... saltwater and walking the sand is a whole different ballgame. I can't keep snipping off a foot of line just to put on a new lure

Light stuff is almost always direct tie for me as well, basically anything under .5 oz.  Most of my leaders are slightly shorter than the length of my rod tip to my reel.  Started as a way to easily pull fish up on a jetty, but realized it’s the best way to get the most out of a spool of leader material as I inevitably cut and retie without ending up with too short of a leader quickly.

Second the TA Clip no split ring.  You can do it blind in a second cold or not.  One thing is that I leave some splits for certain swimmers.  When you need erratic wobble the split ring adds action.  Swap em of course and use the good stuff. Test swim a mambo and Redfin and sp with and without.  You will see.  
RC 

1 hour ago, chitala383 said:

I lost a plug to a 8 or so pound blue when a duolock opened up. Never used them again. I use a TA clip directly to the plug, no split ring. Like @bbfish  said, they're a pain a night and in the cold

One of the first decent fish I ever landed in the surf was about 20 lbs on a brand new white gibbs Polaris on my first cast of the evening one fall afternoon in sea bright years ago. Pulled the fish up on the sand and went to make another cast, plug went flying into the abyss.  Somehow the duo lock had opened up.  Didn’t have another popper in my rudimentary surf bag/college back pack so was upset when I couldn’t get another hit; I don’t think I used a dou lock ever again.  Tied direct for years until the TA clips came out and now I use them whenever I’m plugging.

Agree with everyone on removing the split ring. When I grab a plug from the bag that still has the split on, I just use my fingers or pliers to remove it on the spot. If in a pinch you can leave the ring on and clip the ta below it. I was doing that last year when I was getting lazy and fish were chewing

Been using duo locks since I started fishing and never had a problem..I also put split rings on a lot of my plugs as I feel it gives them better action..I did try the tactical angler clips but did not work well when trying to attach the clip to the split ring on plugs...goes without saying that both duo lock and rings are from top quality manufacturers

15 hours ago, Bob S. said:

Been using duo locks since I started fishing and never had a problem..I also put split rings on a lot of my plugs as I feel it gives them better action..I did try the tactical angler clips but did not work well when trying to attach the clip to the split ring on plugs...goes without saying that both duo lock and rings are from top quality manufacturers

Same. I use a lot of bucktails and leadheads. The paper clip style don’t work for me. Never really had an issue w duo locks snaps.  I like the split ring. Just more action on minnow type lures...