Braid Lifespan ?

Rate this topic

riggler

So while digging through my fishing gear I put all the various left over spools of line I have bought over the years together in one pile. I bet there is more than a couple of miles. Heavy mono from my offshore days, 1st generation braid that even though it pretty much sucks, never got tossed, and the various new super braids that i have been using in the last 5 or 6 years.

The mono is all over 15 years old, the stuff that wasnt in sunlight might be of some use, the stuff on the reels is not useful anymore.  First gen braid is probably not even useful for kite flying....

My question is how long can power pro, maxcuatro, super slick, and 832 be stored and still useful?

Is  there a shelf life for these type of products ?

I can tell you from my experience as a rock climber, that synthetic fibers like dyneema and spectra last a very long time if they are not exposed to the sun.  Sunlight will cause the fibers to become brittle and weak.  I watched an interview with a very successful Marlin fisherman and he said that he had been using the SAME line for over ten years on a few of his reels.  I think if your stuff is in the box, stored in relatively normal temperature, that it would be perfectly fine.  

I keep all my line, both braid and mono, in a large Rubbermaid tote which is kept in a temperature controlled part of the house.

Honestly, with the exception of some really old mono which was already  old when I got it, I haven’t noticed that any of the Line has deteriorated at all.

Keep your line in a cool, dark place and it will last for many years.

The newer braids will last indefinitely on the shelf. On the reel while subjected to use, my experience with 832 has been great.

I have a reel that has line going on 5yrs with no flips and the line is still going strong. I do use mono top shot at all times, this greatly extends the life of your braid while minimzing line attrition.

My fireline n power pro both over 8 yrs life span, still use them for offshore fishing. Never experience any breakage due to age. 

I always roll then onto a big tin can (milo can) and soak them in water after usage,let dry (under shade, not sun) and respool them back.